CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

A loud tapping sound surrounded my bedroom. I tried to ignore it earlier but it soon became unbearable. I awoke from my bed and saw the familiar feathers of a bluebird. It's tapping furiously on the window... It's... The bird I sent to watch sister.

I immediately went and opened my window. The bird quickly went in and frantically flew about. It's trying to say something but can't form the right words.

'Princess- please follow... Princess Morticia's-'

" Calm down and talk slowly. What happened to"
'You need to follow me, Princess!!! Princess Morticia... You need to save her!!!' I was going increasingly annoyed as this bird didn't go straight to the point but the moment I heard that, I immediately rushed out not even bothering to change from my nightgown...

__________________

It was fortunate I convinced my father to lessen my sister's punishment. Although I knew my sister was being falsely accused, I can't remove her punishment. This is the limit of my influence on my Father... Still, I think that's enough. There's that mage who helped her last time. I heard she visited before Sister was dragged to the main castle. She'll probably help. If not then I can secretly deliver food with the use of my powers...

"Why did you do that, Genevere?" The voice of my second brother paused my train of thoughts. I look up at him and saw his face filled with disbelief and pity. He probably thinks I'm doing this for the good of my heart. Well, that's much better...

"Brother... I did participate..." I looked at him with eyes full of indignance and as if telling him 'why won't you believe me?' I sighed inwardly. All the time I acted stupidly has served its purpose after all.

"Genevere, you should've just let Morticia take all the punishment. You know how cruel Father is. What if what you did earlier didn't convince him? You'd be in danger..." My first brother worriedly reminded me. He looks aggrieved at what I did earlier.

"But I can't let sister take all the blame! I am partly involved too! It wouldn't be right!" I retorted acting alarmed and shocked as if telling how they didn't get what she did at all.
" How could you say that brother... You taught me to always be fair. Isn't that what father taught us?" I still acted like a naïve girl promoting fairness. Just like how I've built up my image.

"Genevere... She deserved it... Did you forget what she did to mother?" My second brother then tried convincing me. He had to mention that up? I was appalled at how he just casually brought what happened to mother. My real emotions must've surfaced due to being caught off guard since my second brother tried talking more.

"You can't possibly forget about that Genevere, right?" I nodded but remained silent at his question. How could I forget what you did to mother...

"That wench sneaked upon mother's room." No...

"That wench disguised as a maid and brought mother's demise." No...

"That horrible wench laughed hysterically as she saw mother hang in the threads of life and death..!" NO! NO! NO!

"That psychotic bitch caused mother's death!" No! You're wrong! Both of you are wrong!!!

YOU CAUSED OUR MOTHER'S DEATH!

YOU CAUSED MOTHER'S DEMISE!

YOU SNUCK POISON IN HER TEA!

AND LAUGHED HYSTERICALLY AS YOU WATCHED HER WRITHE IN PAIN. OUR MOTHER REACHED OUT TO YOU BUT YOU NEVER HELPED!!!

You never helped...

It's our mother... The one who raised us... The one who did everything to keep us happy... The one who always protected us... Yet why..? Just why?! Why did you both kill our mother and acted as if nothing happened?! Why did you just let Father do whatever he wanted?! Why can't we announce that she's already dead and have her a proper burial?! WHY DID YOU JUST LET HER BODY DECAY IN THAT GOD-FORSAKEN ROOM?!!! WHY?!!!

Just why...?

...But I can't say that.

"She deserved no kindness, Genevere"... And you deserved all the pain in the world. I inwardly thought as both my brothers ignited all the flames of hate in my very core. I hate them... I do... These monsters in the form of my brothers... 

"My sweet and kind sister, you shouldn't give kindness to those kinds of people. They are not deserving of it..." I bowed my head as I tried to calm myself down while making everything that my brothers said go from one ear to another.

"Please, Genevere. Listen to us... You know where we're coming from, right?" My brothers tried to convince me. I still didn't look at them and continued to stay silent. I'm afraid if I do so now, I'd show my true feelings... I can't have that.

" Genevere, You understand right?" ...Do I understand..? This feels like deja vu... Ahh right... The day of mother's death. The one where I saw what they did to mother against their knowledge. They discovered me when mother took her last breath. Then told me that everything was Sister's fault...

That bullshit... I acted as if I believed them because it's the only way to survive. After all, they're monsters completely lacking conscience. My mother raised monsters born of a devil... Those monsters grew without a single ounce of gratitude even when they were filled with love. That's why I have to act the same way too If I want to survive... A naïve, stupid, and idiotic girl who unconditionally believes her brothers. I schooled my face into that of a girl who knows nothing and said...

"...Yes I understand."