CHAPTER FOURTEEN

"Get up, Morticia. You have a lot to learn."

Dumbfounded, I only stared at the woman smiling brightly at me. What do I have to learn? No, Why do I have to learn? As far as I know, I have already completed my lessons required for a princess years ago and that's not something a mage like her is probably teaching. I opened my mouth trying to get something out of it but immediately closed it. No matter how you think of it, the appearance of the woman is not a good sign. This is troublesome...

"Are you only going to stare at me, dear? Come on. Hurry up. The more we waste time the more our productivity decreases. You need to learn how to use your magic abilities as soon as possible to..." The woman blabbered on. My mind spun at the thing she said. 

"... Wait... You're saying I have magic?" Raising my hand causing her voice to trail off, I asked her with absurdity written in my tone. " You must have seen it wrong, Great mage. I have no magic abilities. If I did I would've had my awakening a long time ago. It's been ten years and nothing happened. I even took the test royals take to discover how much mana I have in my body and yet nothing came out... I have no mana... I'm a powerless and useless princess..." Which resulted in my mother getting dragged away by my father..

The more I talk the more my mouth spouted mocking to my ever useless self. Memories come to me like a raging river and remind me again of how pathetic I am. Even if I did awaken, what would I even do? I thought it's useless to get back at this family for the things that they've done. I knew I deserved it after all I caused my mother's demise. I pursed my lips tightly as I looked away from the eyes looking at me. 

" I've seen many people awaken, dear." The woman started slowly. Her voice suddenly had a tinge of gentleness albeit the high-pitched voice she had. "There's no way I would make such an amateur mistake. After all, aren't I the Great fire mage of the dark ages?"The woman continued as her voice flowed softly and a gentle smile appeared on her face contrasting her aggressive features. 

Maybe there's that tiny little part in my heart that hoped to at least become not so useless. Maybe I yearned to awaken, even awakening into a low-grade mage would be enough. Maybe that's why I felt relief hearing the reassuring words of the woman. Still, most of what I feel as of this moment was worry. I only wanted to get away from this place, to sever all ties with this family as quietly as possible. I would even live like a dead rat if I need to and hearing that I had awakened after all the years I waited made me feel conflicted. 

"... Why did I only awaken now..." I mumbled as I contemplated on what to do. This messes things up. If my father learned of this he wouldn't let me out of his sight. I can't let that happen. Although I don't know why I only awakened now, the fact that I had awakened isn't good. Staying silent for several minutes I finally opened my mouth and muttered something.

"... I don't need it."The woman looked confused at my vague words. " I mean, I don't need to learn anything. I don't need it." I stated, looking resolutely straight into her eyes. She looked surprised and tried to convince me saying things like don't I want to get revenge or punish them for what they did. I only looked at her and said a few words.

" I wanted to escape." Hearing this the woman clad in red didn't say anything and only sighed. She looked at me gently and asked me if that's really what I wanted and I  answered with determination.

"Yes, that's the only thing I ever want." She seemed to have something more to say but she immediately disappeared in a  whirlwind of fire. I was confused. She didn't even finish what she was saying. I immediately felt something was off when I heard the heavy footsteps near my room. The clanking of iron surrounded my palace and I can hear the maids scurrying about. 

I was about to check what was happening when a group of armored knights rushed inside my room and grabbed both of my arms and dragged me outside the room. They didn't even bother to be polite... They are the knights' squadron my father led... Dread and fear overcame me as I silently let the knights drag me out of my palace and into the main castle... Did he notice..?

... I hope not.

______________________

A/n: Heya! It's been a while! I hope you're still enjoying the story. I hope I made you feel the feels, haha. Are you curious about what happened? Well... You'll see this in the next chapter. By the way, feel free to leave a comment if you find anything I need to improve on and if you like this chapter, you can push the vote button but that's completely up to you. 

Anyways, happy holidays and love lots!