CHAPTER FORTY-THREE

"This feels extremely unfair..." The Archduke frustratingly sighed beside me while I patted Ruby's petals. Remember that white-rose-with-gems-embedded-on-its-petals magical plant? That's Ruby, I named her that since the gems in her petals looked like rubies. 

"What do you mean, Your Grace?" I looked at the Archduke confusedly. 

"I mean, how can anyone tame a magical plant in a week or even months?! No, I might have to say you tamed a Rosenite, mind you, the first time you laid your eyes upon it!" The Archduke exclaimed as if he can't believe it. I only smiled sheepishly as Ruby rubbed her petals on my face, kind of like rubbing its cheeks in my face. 

"Well, you did say that we have different components within our magic," I said trying to reassure him. "It's only natural you'll have a hard time taming magical creatures." 

"Still... I always wanted that kind of power..." The pitiful appearance of the Archduke slumped down, said dejectedly.

"That's alright, Your Grace." I looked at him and patted his back. "I'm sure you'll be able to get that kind of power in your next life!" The archduke only sighed.

"Next life... You're mocking me aren't you, Princess?" He grumbled and I chuckled amusedly. 

"Pfft! What do you mean, Your Grace? Puha-- Wh- why would I? Haha!" I tried my best to hold my laugh and it has been proven to be hard.

"... Princess, if you're going to deny it, please don't laugh..." I burst out laughing. I mean how could he be so childish? Imagine the person who everyone feared and tried to avoid if possible has this side? Isn't it such a contrast?

"Puhahaha! I'm so sorry! HAHAHAHAHA!!" Repeatedly muttering apologies, I laughed until my stomach hurt.

"You're so mean..." He grumbled

"I'm... sorry! HAHAHAHA! I didn't expect you to have this side, Haha. It's kinda cute. I can't help but tease you." I tried to explain while laughing between my words.  I wiped the tears accumulating from the corners of my eyes due to laughing so much.  Just then, the twins rushed into the garden with vigor.

 We were taking Ruby for a walk since it's pretty much tamed now. One thing I learned about Ruby though is that she loved the children. Every time the kids visit me Ruby always rushes towards the kids and plays with them. I was initially scared the first time it did that but well Ruby didn't hurt them so, it's fine.

And Rose... Don't even talk about her. Do you know how close I am to having a heart attack when she tackled Ruby for a hug the first time she saw it? Gosh, those kids... Just remembering the scene makes me nauseous... I do get that Rosy fell in love with Ruby the first time since she did mention liking roses but... does she need to scare this sister off? I feel a bit sympathetic to their maids...

It's been two months since I first found myself here. Well, two months and three weeks to be exact. I've been continuously having mana lessons and I have noticed a significant change in my mana use. The Archduke told me I'm progressing much faster than anyone he's ever known. He says even his learning progress was much slower than mine right now. I'm not sure whether this is a good thing or a bad thing.

I've also been frequenting contact with Seraphina these past months. She's always telling me the latest news about my father. From the biggest ones down to the extremely trivial ones. How my father had indigestion four weeks ago because he got scared by an ant that crawled up his feet and how my father is hell-bent on finding me... She says it to help me decide what to do. She doesn't need to go this far though... 

"By the way, Princess," The Archduke's words resounded in my ear while I was lost in thought. "Your familiar, didn't you say you still can't reach him?"

Familiar..? Oh, does he mean Fenrir?

"Ah, yes, Your Grace..." I answered. I still haven't been able to see Fenrir. Although I did wake him up, I thought he'd come out after he had time alone since he looked awful when I saw him. I did try calling him several times, even trying the method I did when I entered the space but to no avail. I can't go back in for some reason... "I wonder how he's doing..."

"Hmm... Do you think your link's been sealed again?" I pondered the Archduke's statement. "I read in some books about familiars that once their masters cannot reach them, their links are either sealed or broken. It doesn't seem to be broken as you weren't experiencing extreme pain..."

"Then if it's sealed, what could be the reason..?" This time?  Was it still the Mana reflux? But I've long since been cured of it..? Could it be something else? Or maybe the seal wasn't unsealed when I last met Fenrir...

"I just hope he's fine... The last time I saw him he looked extremely awful. Would it be better to say he looked miserable..? I suspect it had something to do with his previous master." I shared my thoughts with the Archduke. It's become a habit for me now, especially during our lessons. Fenrir did look miserable particularly when he thought he'd seen his previous master but realized it was me... I wonder what happened?