CHAPTER THIRTY

I arrived at the room I'm staying at here in Steros. The kids went back to their rooms happily with the nanny. It seems they're satisfied with the snacks. They're so cute! After bidding them goodbye, I asked the maid in the room to prepare the bath. She nodded and went to prepare. Her name's Marie. The nanny introduced her earlier and said she's to be my maid while staying here. 

I tried to refuse, I can handle myself. I didn't want to bother them anymore and I can indeed handle myself well. I often do things myself back in Mortem. Well, except when the weekly gathering comes up. Still, the nanny insisted and I couldn't refuse anymore so I accepted. I guess I'm getting lazy after being taken care of here. I'm even having trouble putting on a dress that I need a helping hand. Anyway, Marie's a few years older than me. Maybe in her early twenties? She's like an older sister-no- she is an older sister. I heard she had a sibling two years younger than me. 

While waiting for Marie to finish, I became lost in my thoughts while watching the afternoon sky in the window. An artifact that cancels out mana-related spells... that's why the barrier doesn't work there. Maybe I can call Seraphina there. I should try later. With that, my resolve to sneak into the garden at midnight hardened. 

"Well... before that I should wash up and eat dinner with the kids first. " Thinking of those twins, a smile formed in my mouth. We've been eating meals together recently and every time we do, they can't seem to run out of things to talk about. It's amusing how energetic kids can be.

" My lady, The water's ready," Marie called and I went to the bathroom to wash up.

_______________________

"Y-your Majesty, we couldn't find--" Crashes and clatterings engulfed the throne room as the knight who spoke up trembled before the man sitting on his high throne uttering colorful curses and throwing whatever is in his reach. The knights who used to stand tall amongst the people couldn't help but tremble at the sight of the Emperor's fury. 

"YOU BASTARDS!!!" The emperor bellowed and pointed at the knights as if they were pathetic vermins. " I GAVE YOU TIME!!! IT'S BEEN WEEKS AND YOU STILL CAN'T FIND THAT BRAT?!!!" The emperor's nose let out smoke and his eyes were red from anger and impatience.

"W-we tried our best, Your Majesty, b-but we can't scour places without a proper reason... It c-could sever relations..." Even while trembling the knights bravely reasoned out with the fury-filled emperor. But like talking to a hard wall, the words of the knight went from the emperor's one ear to the other. 

"I DON'T CARE!!! I GAVE YOU ENOUGH TIME!!! I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU DO, I NEED YOU TO CAPTURE HER!!!" the emperor stubbornly retorted. It's like seeing a child throwing a tantrum except the one in front of them is the emperor. I can't believe a nation's ruler is like this... The Emperor continued his tantrum and almost ordered the knight's execution when the crown prince arrived.

Like an angel of the Goddess of light, Vesh entered the chaotic throne room and greeted his father. The knights looked at Vesh as if he is their savior. There seemed to be a halo around Vesh's head. Seeing the knight's reaction, the emperor's heart filled with jealousy. His thoughts filled with 'I should be the one they'll look at like that!' If anyone could read the emperor's mind, they would think the emperor sounded like a child unwilling to share his toys. It's absurd. 

With thoughts like this in his mind, the emperor's fury rose to the charts but now it is directed at his son. "About time you arrived, child" Sarcastic remarks flowed out of the emperor's mouth. It's as if he's talking to his nemesis rather than his child. "These bastards couldn't find that brat. Are you here to save them?" Vesh knew his father is annoyed with him but he concealed his emotions.

"No father, I am not," Vesh answered and with that, the emperor's expression loosened up a bit. "But... Wouldn't it affect the speed of finding that girl? After all, it's better if more people find her. It'll be much faster. Plus the claim that the knight said is true. We can't just scour territories. It could sour our relationship with them." And with the statement Vesh made, the emperor fell into his thoughts.

  That's... true. Although I have the artifact controlling people, there are still unaffected families. Take that girl I ordered Vesh to keep an eye on. It's best if I don't cause suspicion now so once they realize, it'll be all too late.

"Then... What do you think should we do?" The emperor asked his son. His former animosity towards him vanished as if it had been an illusion. The crown prince smiled and walked toward the emperor.

"Why don't we reveal that Morticia's missing?" Vesh suggested but the emperor immediately crushed that idea saying they'll take his weapon away. Vesh sighed and called his father more strongly making the emperor stare at him. "Father... I know your worries but did you forget? No one knew Morticia can wield dark magic. They only knew that she's the daughter you loved the most to the point of not letting her out of the palace walls." Vesh slowly persuaded his currently illogical father to reveal Morticia's disappearance. 

"It'll be enough of a reason to let our knights search their territory. Plus we can use this chance to check on their territory. It's a win-win situation father." Creating a beautiful illusion, Vesh finally persuaded his father whose currently too caught up in his emotions to think straight, and got what he wanted. He gave his father a cup to drink to ease his anger. Usually, Father would be suspicious of me all the time but at this moment he completely trusted what I said. Alright. The first step of the plan is completed. I need to go to the second step.

I hope this plan succeeds...

If it fails, we're all doomed.