CHAPTER FORTY-TWO

"Brother," Damien, my second brother, called me as he sipped tea. "How's Father?" I raised the teacup in my hand languidly and answered as I sipped.

"He's fine. Rather furious that I haven't made any progress but still fine." Damien eyed me for a moment then glanced at the Black Narcissus flowers in the garden. 

"The flowers look awful. I guess rats have been infesting this place again?" My brother's eyes scanned the person beyond the bushes where the dahlias are. I lightly smiled at the fact that my brother's sharp tongue never changed.

"Well, when has this place been rid of rats?" I raised my hand signaling for the hiding servant to be dragged out. The servant donned a terrified expression, unable to utter a single word while being dragged out.

"Haha, you have a point." Damien, amused by the turn of events, chuckled as he drank. "Father's still the same as ever, never change."

"You haven't changed too. Your sharp tongue's still there."  Damien laughed at my statement. 

"Big brother, you know my sharp tongue's my staple. How could I change it?" I chuckled as an answer. "Anyway, I heard Father scolded you yesterday?"

"Ah, yes. He's fuming with anger now. Considering how the search for Morticia has been unprogressive as ever." It's been two months and the Emperor is getting impatient. Of course, I'm intentionally searching for Morticia halfheartedly. I cannot waste the effort I put into taking Morticia out of my father's hands. I just hope that girl would not return until all my plans are done.  

"What of the tea I gave? Is Father satisfied?" Damien referred to the poison I disguised as tea from the east that I gave to Father. I smiled, recalling that he's been drinking it for the past two months. 

"Of course. Father is extremely satisfied to the point where he drinks it every day." Damien, content with the response sat back languidly.

"I'll have someone send more if that's the case." He stated which I then replied with a satisfied nod. If one would see the scene unfolding between us, one would think were great sons thinking of their father's well-being. Completely different from the intention lying beneath our words. 

Because gone were the days the thought of worry about our horrid father clouded our young minds. Only thoughts of how to kill our father were left...

A knock echoed in the room. I told them to come in and a servant entered. "This humble servant greets The Crown Prince and the Second Prince. His Majesty, The Emperor, called for your presence, Your Highness, the Crown Prince." I nodded and turned to my brother.

"Looks like we'll have to continue our conversation another time, Brother." Damien smiled as he motioned for me to go out.

"A shame, really, but well, I can't do anything about it" He grinned while expressing mock displeasure. "See you around, Brother."

"See you around." I chuckled as I went out.

I arrived in the throne room and greeted my father only to be greeted with a teacup flying and crashing against the wall.

"YOU USELESS FOOL!" I remained quiet in order not to further agitate my father. "WHY IS IT THAT THERE'S STILL NO NEWS REGARDING THAT GIRL'S SEARCH?!!! ARE YOU TAKING ME FOR A FOOL, CHILD?!!! HAVE I BEEN TOO EASY ON YOU NOW, VESH?!!! IS THAT IT?!!" The Emperor bellowed, getting angry by the second. 

"But, Father..." I emotionlessly started.

"WHAT?!!!" 

"There is news. I received it earlier that is why you have yet to hear of it." I said with the most detached expression I have as if I wasn't part of the chaos. My father's expression significantly softened and he asked eagerly what it is.

"There is a woman who resembles the first princess in the south, it is said that she was seen selling flowers in a store." Donning an expression of giving a report, I lied my way as easily as breathing. I'm still wearing a detached expression as if nothing has to do with me.

"...Is that true, Vesh? You're not lying to me are you?" The Emperor asked with suspicion although, I'm confident he won't find my words false. 

"What reason could, possibly, be a motive for me to lie to you, Father? I believe there is none as I am merely following your instructions to find that wretched girl much to my dismay." I then revealed an expression of helplessness, as if I cannot do anything about it and am merely trying to follow my father's order even if I don't want to. My father seemed convinced as he didn't pry further.

"...I'll trust you on that, Vesh." He said and I then said my goodbyes. 

"Ah, wait a minute, child." I stopped in my tracks and asked the Emperor what was the matter. "About the tea you gave me a few months ago the one from the east... Do you happen to still have some of it left?" 

Oh.

"Do you... like the tea, Father?"I asked though I knew well the answer.

"Khmm! Well, I do. It's been helping me concentrate these days... I just finished the box you gave me." The emperor said with a hint of embarrassment.

I smiled widely at what I have heard.

"I... do have some left in my residence. I also recently ordered a new batch. I'll deliver the remaining tea I have as soon as I get back, Father." With my enthusiastic reply, my father's expression seemed content as he motioned for me to go out.

I went back to my residence silently. I then closed the door to my room once I got in and...

"Puhahaha! This is great! Just great!"I laughed my heart out as I recalled what had happened in the throne room.

 Calm down, Vesh. You shouldn't be too excited. This is only the start. 

"Right, I shouldn't be too excited. I still have more left to do..." I reasoned out as I calmed myself down.

"Still, it isn't too much to be happy, right?" I muttered smilingly as I looked at the pile of poisonous tea bags.

"That's right."

"It isn't too much."