CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR

"Miss Marie," Walking along the hallway to the garden, I met Sir Kalian Peteros." Would you like a helping hand?" I looked at the tray in my left hand and the trolley in my right.

"Would you?" I asked awkwardly. I do think I'll need some help... The Knight smiled and I handed the tray to him. "Thank you."

"It's nothing. I should help." I smiled gratefully at him and we both entered the garden. The scene before our very eyes looked so lovely and peaceful that I almost didn't want to go inside and ruin it. 

The twin masters of the duchy were playing tag with the magical plant Lady Ticia tamed. Their faces are full of smiles that are so bright, they rivaled the most shining star in the sky. The Lady and the Archduke having a heartfelt conversation as they watched the kids play was akin to a couple watching their children.

"Don't they look harmonious together?" I asked Sir Kalian in a whisper. He looked at me and nodded.

"They indeed look harmonious together." I smiled at the reply I heard.

"Oh! Marie! Are those the refreshments?" My Lady Ticia turned at the sound of someone coming in and asked excitedly as she scanned the things we brought. I laughed seeing the energetic miss I served. 

"It is, My lady. The chef whipped up a variety." I then explained how lively the chef has been in the making of these desserts. The Duchy has been very lively these past few months thanks to the young miss.  Ever since the lady came, everyone seemed to be influenced by her cheerfulness. Everywhere she went, she brightened up the whole room. Look, even the Archduke whose usually so detached smiled so sweetly looking at the lady!

"Woah! These look delicious, Marie! Please tell the chef my thanks!" The lady said with sparkling eyes and I nodded and told the lady I would relay her message. 

"Ren, Rosy, Your Grace! Come! The refreshments are here!" My lady then called His grace and the twins to stop whatever they are doing and eat. The twins rushed first and immediately sat down at the table in the garden. 

"Wow! These look extra delicious!" Ren exclaimed as he picked a macaron and ate it.

"All kinds of food are delicious to you, Brother!" Rosy then retorted at her brother, picking a cupcake too. 

"Now, now, settle down kids. Eat whatever you like! You too, Your Grace. You should eat too." Lady Ticia then handed a cup of tea and a cookie to the Archduke. The Archduke obediently sipped tea and ate the cookie. I almost burst out laughing. It's only thanks to the fantastic self-control that I have honed through the years I served in the duchy that I can stop myself. You don't know what the Archduke is usually like. The difference is uncanny...

"Marie, Sir Kalian, you eat too." Lady Ticia said as she invited us to eat. I smiled and refused.

"I'm alright, My Lady. You know I have some things to attend to at home so I can't stay here for long. I only delivered these to let you know I'll be off."

"Oh! Right! You asked for leave didn't you? to take care of your sibling?" I nodded at the question. "I hope your sibling gets better soon. You talk a lot about her to me that I'm worried too."

"Thank you very much for your concern, My Lady. I'm sure my sister will be happy to hear that. Well,  I'll be off then." I bid my farewell and offered a deep curtsy. After Lady Ticia bid me well, I then made my way home.

_____________________

The public square of the Steros duchy contained a lot of stores from various categories. Some sell meat, some vegetables, and some sell little trinkets here and there. I walked along the stalls of each store, glancing at what they sold and trying to decide whether to buy some for my sister. I've been planning to buy some food to cook for her and help nourish her body more. 

My sister has always been frail since we were young. Might be because she was born prematurely. Well, that's what people say. It's even a miracle she survived as a baby born early. 

I went to a stall selling apples. "These apples look scrumptious, Ma'am! How much do these cost?" The Stall Lady smiled brightly hearing my compliment. 

"You have a good eye young lady! These apples were from the south, carefully planted and picked! From the looks itself, you can see that it's of good quality! Plus it's only 10 copper coins! It's very cheap!" I froze hearing the price, much different from the store lady's excitement in explaining how good its quality is. 

Well, I do have quite a lot of money since I recently received my pay for the month which is 10 gold coins. A gold coin is equivalent to 10 silver coins and a silver coin is equal to a hundred copper coins. So I don't need to worry about buying an apple costing 10 copper coins but... It's still too much. Apples are also quite abundant in the north and only cost a single copper coin. Though it doesn't taste quite good... This apple might taste good..?

"..."

"C-can I have 10 apples..?" I hesitatingly said while the stall lady smiled even brighter.

I sighed walking away after receiving the apples. I bought it... Hear me out! It looked delicious! I can't help myself!! And it might help my sister's health, alright?! It's for my sister...  Feeling quite guilty I walked through the center of the square and passed by the notice board located in the middle. Usually, I wouldn't even notice I passed by these parts but something caught my eye on the notice board...

... Huh?

A single slightly luxurious paper covered by the recent notices can be seen hanging there...

"... A missing person poster..?"