CHAPTER FORTY

I was left outside the wooden door and waited for the princess' lesson to finish. I stood by the corner of the training hall, leaning on a pillar near the hallway. I took out the necklace I had on my neck. It was a simple thread necklace with a sapphire gem placed inside an intricate frame. I glanced at my surroundings, making sure none of the people hears anything. I then caressed the pendant before pressing a small button at the back of it. A faint static noise came out. 

"Sir Kalian Peteros reporting, Your Highness," I stated, bringing close the gem in my hand to my mouth. "There have been no suspicious movements around here. I have been looking closely at the princess' actions this past week and no one suspects her identity. I also had difficulty determining her identity when I first saw her. I suspect she's using some illusion magic that makes subtle changes to one's facial features and characteristics. I can assure you, Your Highness, that the princess is relatively safe for the time being."

I finished what I'd said with assurance. The prince has been very particular about the safety of the Princess. I don't get it though. It's pretty known that the two siblings don't have a good relationship. Now he's suddenly showing care for the princess. It's weird... Still, I need to do this mission well if I don't want my head chopped off, especially with the prince paying such special care to this matter.

A few minutes later and the gem vibrated indicating an incoming call. 

"I'm not worried about her safety. The archduke is there. I do not need to worry. Tell me her learning progress instead." A languid voice erupted from the magical device. I did as I was told. I relayed what the princess' achievements are in the past few days. The prince stayed silent for a while. Maybe his mind's off somewhere again... Anyway, I waited for the prince to finally remember he still has a call ongoing. 

"... Is she happy?" I was taken aback when he finally spoke. Plus with that question? I thought he didn't care?! 

"The princess, Your highness?" I asked trying to make sure I'm hearing things right.

"Who else would it be?" He said impatiently. I didn't hear wrong..! Although I'm a bit dumbfounded by the prince's unexpected question, I still answered compliantly.

"The princess seems to be smiling a lot." Unlike when she's in the capital. I've seen the princess a few times while on guard duty, which was quite a rare occurrence for a commoner knight like me, but I was stationed near the princess' abode. "Her highness is cheery and gets along with everyone in the archduke's estate." It's true though. Everyone seems to take care of the princess. Even the little ones of Steros. 

Silence again returned on the other side. I waited patiently for the prince's response. '

"... Alright" The prince answered then the line cut off before I could answer back. I put the necklace back on my neck used to how the prince is. Then I waited patiently for the princess' lesson to finish.

____________________________

I put away the magic device in my hand when a knock resounded from my door, "Come in" I answered. The door opened and a maidservant entered the room.

 "Your Highness, Crown prince Vesh, His Majesty is calling for you." The maidservant said. I nodded and asked her to lead the way. I arrived in front of the throne room. Same, old gold-lined huge doors as if flaunting their might. A servant announced my arrival and I entered the vast room unceremoniously. 

"Greetings, Father. May the everlasting grace of the stars be with you." I greeted as I gave a deep bow indicating my feigned respect. "The tea from the east I ordered arrived, Father. Would you like to have a cup?" I asked, still bowing my head. 

"Rise, Child." The emperor said looking down at me. "My throat is indeed parched. Bring a cup in. By the way,  you've successfully sneaked one of our people into the dragon's lair, right?" He said with a slight smile, almost seemingly sneering... I waved at a servant signaling him to prepare the tea before answering.

"Yes, Father. I just received an update from one of the men I sent. He said they haven't seen any women with the same description as the first princess." I replied without much emotion.

"You better make sure, Vesh. We aren't sure if she hasn't learned magic. She might've used some kind of illusion magic. She and her mother are one of the sneaky bunch." I said nothing as the emperor mocked the first queen and her child. 

"I think that would be impossible, Father" The Emperor scoffed at my words but didn't say anything. " Even if she had someone to teach her now, it's impossible to be able to master spells after a few weeks of lessons, especially for someone without prior knowledge of magic. I don't think anyone has formally educated that child, right, Father?" I reasoned out with the most matter-of-factly expression I have. I can't let him find any loophole in everything I say and cause him to suspect me. 

"No." The emperor leaned back in his throne languidly and stared at me. " I don't think so, Son. If anyone did, I would've cut their necks off their body." The emperor stated with a laugh. An eerily, haunting, boisterous laugh. As if he's a predator imagining its prey's expression while having its head slowly cut.

"Exactly, Father. I don't think anyone is as insane as to want to try and see what happens." I answered humbly agreeing and emphasizing the point I was trying to make him see. He didn't say anything and only hummed. 

The tea arrived at this time and the tea's scent wafted across the room. It has a refreshing lemon scent that aligned with the emperor's preferences. He flicked his hand indicating he wants me out of the room and drew the tea cup near his nose before taking a sip. I observed his expression for a moment before I bowed my head and greeted him goodbye. 

Once I was out of the emperor's sight, my expression changed akin to that of a frigid winter. A fierce glint flashed across my eyes, unbeknownst to me, as I took out the antidote bottle and hurriedly gulped down the transparent liquid. The burning sensation I felt in my lungs eased as thin beads of sweat trickled down my forehead. I entered my room in a hurry and collapsed onto the bed. 

Taking deep breaths, I closed my eyes, resting my hands atop them.

It's alright. Everything's fine. I must endure. For everyone's sake, for my sake. I must endure... 

For this is my mission...

 A crown prince's mission.