CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE

"Don't you feel hopeless, Princess?" The creature sneered. I collapsed staring blankly at the Archduke, with a face splattered with blood. "Just like when you were young!" The creature laughed screechingly but I had no mind to care at all. He then retrieved his claws from the Archduke's body and the Archduke collapsed like a ragdoll on the floor. Why..? Why is this happening again..?

"You must be asking why, right? Why is this happening again to you?" The creature laughed and came forward to me. I looked at the creature blankly. He sighed " Well, it's because our little princess is powerless, incapable... Weak!" Laughing again hysterically, he wrapped his claws around my jaw and slightly squeezed it. His sharp claws pierced my skin, earning me a stabbing pain.

"It's because you are weak, Morticia. That is why this is happening again." The creature whispered these words in my ear. Agony, Fury, and Hopelessness filled my entire being. Why..? Why am I so weak..?

"This might be our last lesson but well I wanted to teach you this last bit just in case something happens in the future." The Archduke looked at me smilingly and I scoffed at him. "Why are you making it sound like something will happen soon? Aren't you being too pessimistic, Your Grace?" He only smiled and continued with his explanation.

"Well, emotions affect the power or the intensity of our spells, be it happiness, sadness, or anger, any type of emotion affects our spells in some way or another. I wanted you to be wary but at the same time use it to your advantage whenever a time when you need it comes." He walked over to the weapon rack and picked out a sword.

"I want you to think of a time when you felt the most extreme emotions in your life."

I looked at the Archduke from my peripheral vision. The pain from the creature's claws brought tears to my eyes, clouding my vision. I saw him lying on the floor motionlessly. Isn't this a fitting time, Your Grace..? I feel extremely angry at myself... Had you known this would happen..?

"Once you've thought of that time, feel it. Feel it in every fiber of your body. Let your emotions cover you, drown you. Compress those emotions you feel in your mind, heart, and body..."

Anger filled my being. Anger at not being able to save the Archduke. Anger at not being able to repay those people who helped me. Anger at always being on the receiving end... And Agony which my heart has been keeping for the last ten years. Tears filled my eyes like a furious flood. The emotions I had forcefully tried to forget poured onto my being like a hurricane and soaked into my heart...

I felt a burning sensation in my body. Much stronger than the sensation I had felt when I almost drowned in the Lake...

"W-what in the--" The creature panicked at the sight of burning black flames enveloping me. He attempted to retract his hand but failed when my hand wrapped around his otherwise twisted, red claws. My tears still flowed out of my eyes showing no signs of stopping. My mind felt empty. I wasn't in my right mind. My emotions got the best of me, controlling me... 

"... Say, I wonder what you'll look like twisting in agony..?" My voice felt distant, almost like I wasn't the one talking... 

"... Then release." Hearing the Archduke's voice in my mind, I closed my eyes.

"I'll find that out." Then covered the creature with black flames, like a pandemic contagiously finding its victim.

________________________

"M-Milady..?" I croaked as I tremblingly got up from the ground I had collapsed in. The creature screeched and howled in the distance, trying to put out the black flames enveloping his body. Lady Ticia had long collapsed beside the Archduke. The black flames still enveloped her body yet it didn't seem to burn her. She slowly wrapped her hand around the Archduke's lifeless body. The flames didn't burn the Archduke either... The Lady then sobbed. Heartwrenchingly. 

"Please wake up... Please..!" Those words were muttered again and again by the Lady. My heart clenched tightly. I wanted to say something but I can't... I had no right... I brought this upon the Duchy. This is my fault... Had I not covered that poster, they wouldn't have suspected I knew the lady's secret... Everything would have been alright...

I stood silently, the words I wanted to say caught in my mouth as the painful cries echoed in the ruins of the mansion. Hurried footsteps were heard in the quiet place and I looked around in a panic. Is it the hooded men..?

"Milady..!" Red hair appeared in the distance and soon, an overly pale complexion appeared in my vision. He hurriedly ran as fast as he could seeing me and the Lady.

"... Sir Kalian..." I quietly muttered as I slowly glanced at the Lady. He followed my gaze and abruptly stopped in his tracks. His mouth which was open as if to say something faltered at the sight of the Lady's tear-stained face.  He stood silently, not knowing what to do. 

"Sir Kalian... The kids, Why are you here..?" Lady Ticia asked in a hoarse voice. Sir Kalian then explained that Ruby was protecting the kids. 

"Milady... We need to go. There might be more hooded men coming. It not safe for you to--"

"No..." The Lady only shook her head and then looked at the lifeless Archduke. " I'll stay here. Take Marie with you..." Our eyes widened at what the Lady said.

"Milady..! You can't! It's not safe for you to be alone..!" I hurriedly went to Lady Ticia and tried to convince her. No... I need to make her leave this place! I can't let her be caught up any further in my mistake. "Milady... Please..! Let's go, hmm? Let's leave this place, alright? You must--!" Trying to convince her, she only smiled at me weakly... Tears threatened to fall my eyes knowing that I couldn't convince her further. The Lady turned to Sir Kailian.

"Take Marie with you, Sir. It's an order." The Lady's stern voice echoed in the ruins making my heart drop. Sir Kalian didn't say anything. I looked at him pleading but I couldn't see his expression. He moved forward towards me and my remaining hope diminished. He carried me away from the Lady.

"No..! Oh God, Please, Let go!!! Milady..! you mustn't! You must--" I screamed with all my might and wailed, tears rushing out of my eyes. I tried to look at the Lady and only saw her smiling, amidst the burning black, flames, and mouthing a few words at me. 

"Take care of the kids for me will, you?" 

I sobbed and lost all my strength. How am I supposed to refuse? I owe so much to everyone because of a single mistake I had made... 

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry..."