t w e n t y- t w o

"Remember the footsteps, remember the words said, and all your little brother's favorite songs."

A/N: Here is the update<3 sorry for the delay :) Since everyone has been asking so much for an update I better see a lot of comments and votes<3

Disclaimer: The next chapter will only be posted when this chapter gets more than 60 votes- please vote otherwise I will feel embarrassed hehe:>

|T H I R D  P E R S O N|{UNEDITED}

Tiny specks of dust seemed to dance in the shaft of afternoon sunlight that slanted through the window. The clock's hand moved up to four and twelve, indicating that it was four o'clock in the afternoon. 

Maxwell sat on the bed, The sweetest Oblivion in his hands, skimming through the pages, almost nearing the almost end of yet another spicy romance novel. He sighed, putting a stop to his reading and turning his head to the side, seeing his wife sleeping peacefully.

He sometimes wished he was like those male leads he read about in books, who would have the guts to do anything for their loved one, but alas not every wish comes true.

Every time he looks at Delilah, his mind stops working and he can't see anything but their past. How happy they were, and how he ruined it. 

He knows Delilah would give him a chance if he tells her everything, but will he ever be able to give himself a chance? Probably not. It's not like he doesn't want to, it just scares him, trying to open up the lock of his heart again whose key will always belong to Delilah.

His hand shot up to brush up the strand of hair falling on her face when he remembered how badly she flinched when he tried to remove a piece of dirt on her face, even going so far to the conclusion that he was going to slap her.

She must think that he is exactly like his dad, he thought to himself.

His hands stopped abruptly and he quietly took them back to his lap, sulking to himself.

The familiar ringtone of his phone bought him back from his thoughts, looking over at the phone screen. It was an unknown number, he quickly picked it up, furrowing his brows in concentration as he tried to recognize the familiar voice of the female on the call.

"May I know who this?" he asked in his usual I-am-a-bitch-and-it's-better-if-you-leave-me-alone-before-I-kill-you tone. He didn't like his tone but as a made man, he had to be a bitch and act cold to everyone so that no one takes advantage of him. 

How do all the mafia men sound so hot in these romance novels while I just sound constipated? He thought to himself.

He would never admit it to anyone but his reaction to mafia men and bad boys in books was the same as a 15-year-old teenage girl, completely fangirlish and wishing that they were real every second of his life.

"Oh I am Kathryn," the female spoke on the phone, completely catching him off-guard as he was lost in his thoughts yet again.

Who the fuck is Kathryn now? 

"Listen I don't care about what-" oh

oh

Kathryn is Delilah's stepmother.

"Shit, I am so sorry I didn't mean to-" he started to speak but got cut off when a pillow hit his face, making the phone drop from his hand and pain erupt in his nose due to the friction of the pillow.