Interview 2

A/N: I imagine Ava as Margot Robbie. If you don't like it, feel free to imagine someone else :)

Jade's POV

It's now the next morning and I'm supposed to meet Ava for coffee in 20 minutes. I walk out of the hotel and towards the centre. As I made my way inside the cafe I notice Ava is already sitting at a table.

She spots me as I make my way over and smiles. "Good morning" she says. "Good morning to you too." I respond while returning her smile. I order both of us some coffee before continuing with our chat.

"So, you are currently working on a documentary. Can you tell me a bit more about it?" She asks as she takes a sip of her coffee. "Of course. I saw how the island was struggling with the vast amount of refugees arriving every day and knew that it would be a very impactful story. I know that there is a massive refugee crisis going on in Europe and I wanted to kind of show it from multiple perspectives. I already talked to a refugee yesterday and now I would love to tell the story of an aid worker." I explain to her.

She nods in response. "I am really glad someone is finally paying attention to the issue. A lot of people dismiss it as it does not directly impact them, but I see it completely differently. But is this the first refugee documentary you're making?" She asks.

"Yes it is, but I do have experience with very serious topics in my documentaries. Just take the homelessness crisis in LA for example. That is also a giant issue that people just seem to ignore. Or the water crisis in Flint. I always try to tell stories others are afraid to tell."

She smiles at me in response. "That's very admirable. I'm glad we are on the same page of this story." She says as she finishes her coffee.

We decide to get up and make our way towards the shore where we met yesterday. We set our bags down and I start to prepare my filming equipment while Ava puts on her NGO's jacket to make clear who she actually is. I finish my setup and get ready to record. I look at her for reassurance and she nods, indicating for me to start.

"Okay so could you start by introducing yourself?" I ask her. "Of course. My name is Ava Jenson and I have been working with refugees for about 4 years now. I arrived on Lesbos a year ago when we first heard about the large number of refugees arriving. At that time, we did not expect it to escalate to the way it is now. We have hundreds of refugees arriving each week and we hardly have the manpower to help all of these people." She starts.

"What exactly do you do to help these people?" I ask her. She thinks about what to say for a moment. "We start by helping the people who arrive on the boats. We give them blankets to keep them warm and things like food and water since they are often malnourished. Afterwards, we guide them to the refugee camp if possible. Sadly, the camps are already way too overcrowded, so some end up living in tents on the beach." She explains in a sad tone.

"What are the governments or other parties doing about this?" I ask her. "I wish we got more help from governments, but there is only so much they seem to be able to do. It is difficult to control people and their actions. The governments can't morally deny refugees from entering the island, but they also have no clue how to properly control the stream of refugees coming in." She tells me.

"How do you feel about the part you are playing in this crisis?" She gives me a slight smile. "I wish I could do so much more for these people, but I am glad that I can help them in the way I do now. By just providing them with a sense of safety we are already helping. Now, it is just important to help them with basic needs that they lacked." She explains. She really seems like a person who just wants to do good in life.

"And what message would you share with everyone watching?" She sigh a bit before talking. "We need to remember that these people come from terrible places that are riddled with war. They are just looking for peace and freedom. I understand that many are upset about the sudden increase in refugees in their countries, but imagine how you would feel when you come from a place of war and unsafely and are just looking for a safe place, only to be denied by those who can provide it? We need to come together and help one another whenever and wherever possible." She finishes.

I smile at her. "That was great! Thank you so much, I can definitely work with this." I say as I put my hand out to her. She shakes her head and pulls me into a hug. "I'm happy I can help." She says was she pulls away. "I'll send you the interview and the finished version of the documentary when it's finished." I tell her.

We say our goodbyes and I make my way back towards the hotel. That was another productive day. It's actually going easier and faster than expected. I might be going back home earlier than expected. I call Scarlett to tell her about my day.

"Hi babe! I'm so glad you called. I actually had an amazing day with Rose. We went to the park and got ice cream and just watched some movies." She starts ranting. She clearly missed someone to talk to today.

I chuckle before I respond. "Hi baby, that's great! I hope you had lots of fun together. How is she doing?" I ask her.

"She's doing well. She actually misses you almost as much as I do. How was your day?"

"It was actually really fun. I met an NGO worker yesterday and she was open to do an interview for the documentary. We met up this morning for coffee and had a great interview this morning. I'm really excited at how this may turn out." I tell her. "I might actually be done earlier than expected, just need to get footage from the refugee camps and some more interviews."

"Amazing! Can you tell me a bit more about the NGO worker?" She asks. The question seems kind of random, since she didn't ask me about the Arab lady from my first interview. "Her name is Ava Jenson and she has worked with refugees for about 4 years now. She's been here for a year helping the refugees who arrive on the island. That's mainly it." I tell her honestly. She hummus in response.

"I should get going, I need to get to set to film some scenes. I'll talk to you tomorrow, okay?" She says. I furrow my brows, but decide to think nothing of it. "Okay baby. I love you and talk to you tomorrow."

"Love you too. Bye." She says before hanging up. I sigh and drop my body on the bed. Was she jealous? She has nothing to be jealous of. My thoughts are interrupted by my phone dinging. I look at it and see a text from Ava.

She sent me a link to an E!News article. I look at the title and internally curse. 'Documentary maker Jade Cosmer getting cosy with another woman in Greece' . Shit.