Flashbacks

A/N: Yes, this image above is of an incident that actually happened on Lesbos, where a group of men attacked German journalist Michael Trammer in 2020. That part of my story was based on this incident. It's honestly pathetic that people treat others like this and I hope these men got the right punishment. Now, enough ranting and on with the chapter.

Jade's POV

I decided that it was time to start looking at the footage from Greece and see if I can make a documentary or at least a video out of it. Scarlett was doing some more interviews about her upcoming movie today, so I have zero distractions.

I grab my laptop and move to my makeshift office. As I put the memory card in my laptop I see that I actually have a lot of footage. I start sifting through everything, deleting unnecessary footage to get to the core of the documentary. I'm actually very happy with some of the shots, especially the interviews.

After about an hour I get to the last files. I watch the footage of the refugee camp and my heart breaks once more for the people who are stuck there. I wonder how the people that I interviewed are doing. All of this is definitely usable, so I decide to put all of this together in one folder.

I notice there's one more file to watch, but I already know what this is going to entail. I try to forget about it and delete it, but something inside me wants to watch it.

My curiosity gets the best of me and I decide to click on it.

The video starts and it instantly brings me back to that afternoon. I see the shore and the men at the boat full of refugees. You can clearly see the desperation on the faces of the refugees and the anger on the face of the group of men.

Then, the footage takes a turn as you can see on of the men shift his focus towards the camera and me. My breathing starts picking up slightly as I know what's coming. The man mutters something to his friends and all their gazes shift towards me. They let go of the boat and move towards me.

You can see the camera starting to shake a little before moving towards the floor. You can hear shouting in the background before you can see the footage shaking violently as the camera is being grabbed aggressively from my hands and tossed through the air into the water. That's when the footage ends.

I only now noticed that my breathing had become erratic and tears were rolling down my face as I was reminded of what happened to me. I flinch lightly at the memory of me being beaten and kicked on the ground.

In an attempt to calm down and stop panicking I start to think of happy memories and moments, like when Scarlett and I first confessed our feelings for each other and our day at the beach not too long ago. It seemed to work and soon my breathing got back to normal and my tears stopped rolling.

I put my laptop away for a second and got a glass of water. The wild breathing irritated my throat, so the water was really soothing. I sigh and get back to my laptop.

I decided to keep the footage, not to torture myself, but I might actually use it as a closing message to address the violence towards journalists. At least my torment might help others.

Once I selected all of the footage that I want to use, I start making a storyline. I sketch out a few ideas for the storyline and decide on one. Happy with my choices, I decide to start my edit.

After a few hours of editing, I hear the front door opening. I look and see that it's Scarlett. I smile and walk over to her, wrapping her in my arms and giving her a kiss. "Hi baby" I greeted her.

"Hi babe, how was your day?" She asked. I shrugged "Not too bad. I went through all the footage and started editing the documentary. There's actually a lot of usable footage." I explain.

She looks at me as if she's trying to find something in my eyes. "Have you watched everything? Even the incident?" She asked concerned. I look down slightly and nod. "Yeah, I couldn't help myself. I got too curious."

She lift my chin with her finger so I can look at her again. "How did it go? It must have been hard to watch." She asks.

"It was. I think I kind of had a panic attack. I'm not sure, though. I've never had one before, but I was crying and had difficulty breathing." I let her know. She gives me a sympathetic look and pulls me into a hug. "I'm sorry, baby." She says as the rubs my back.

"Don't be. It wasn't your fault." "I know, but still. Have you thought about going to therapy? It might help." She suggests.

I look at her with a slight smile. "I might do that, yeah. Could be a light case of PTSD, who knows. I'll see if I can find one nearby."

She nods and I decide to go and Google some therapists nearby. I find one called Dr. Graham, who seems very experienced in the field and she looks like a very compassionate person. Some therapists give me the creeps, but she seems nice.

I gave her a call and she suggested an intake appointment to see if we're a good fit and to discuss my situation. When I hung up I let out a sigh of relief and go back downstairs to spend the rest of the day with Scarlett and Rose.

--------------------------------------------------------

Having serious writer's block right now and don't really see the story going anywhere else, so I'll probably put an end to the story after the next chapter.