6.1| Meeting willow_tree

Evelyn

There was less homework today due to the many tests we had today. I was checking my Facebook when I got a friend request from "Willow_tree".

willow_tree
Werewolf, East high, same year - 12B

So I replied.

EvZ
You are Willie Ao?

willow_tree
Yep.

EvZ
Evelyn Zhang as you already know.

willow_tree
Wanna hangout? Allan sent a request to Esther, and it seems that she was accepted.

EvZ
Sure. Where?

willow_tree
Your Northern border, perhaps? Allan and I live in the Aur-Hya neutral land.

EvZ
Let me consult with Esther.

In the end, we ended up not going, but instead asked them to be present at the Northern border tomorrow early morning, on our birthday. Esther had gotten a request from elfin-17 (Alfred, or Allan as he liked to be called). Kyle and Esther would be doing patrols there with me. Esther and I planned to question them. This would be our own secret operation into the politics of the werewolf world.

The next day, early morning

"Evelyn, I need you to scoot the perimeter at Lunsolae. You know the drill; go with Kyle and Esther. I hate to make you do this on your birthday, especially 6 AM in the morning, but it is necessary. We have noticed unusual activity, and Kyle is implementing new training programs for all of our departments."

I nodded. "When I get back, I expect you to tell me about it."

"I will. Stay safe and stay alert at all times," Dad said.

[Es, Ky, Lunsolae's border.] I mindlinked my siblings.

Esther and Kyle appeared in five seconds, all of them ready.
They went outside and shifted, heading towards the northwest.

[Ky, Es, go to the right, I'll stay left.] I told them.

Then I sent a private link to Esther. [I'm meeting Wilfred, or Willie as he likes to be called. You're going to meet Allan, or Alfred. Make sure you call them by the right name! Kyle is not with you, right?] Esther answered in the affirmative.

I moved into position, not sensing any other wolves... but then a new scent hit my nose. I inhaled deeply, realizing it was the scent of my mate. Aasira, my wolf, began howling and yipping loudly in my head. It was familiar, somewhat like Wilfred's, but much stronger and I could sense his Alpha aura. I waited for a few moments.

A figure emerged from the shadows, who was about my height. Aasira began yelling "MATE! MATE!"

The figure came closer, then stuck out his hand. "Evelyn, is it?"

"Yes, it is me, but what am I supposed to call you?" I took his hand, and the tell-tale sparks jumped between us.

He started. "Ah, you know. Please keep my secret. There is a reason. Just call me Wilfred, or Will. Your father will object to our mating-"

"Yes I know. Tell me the reason." I stated somewhat impatiently.

"It has something to do with our ancestors, and it is so long, it will take me hours and hours to say it all. When we meet next, we will need a solid several hours."

"Don't worry, my brother Kenneth is going to Symphonia Coven at noon today, and my parents will be in the alpha meetings. I'm sure I can sneak some time over, tomorrow might work since it is the weekend, where shall we meet?"

"Could you go to the neutral land? No one will suspect us, and I have a house there. I am there all day tomorrow."

"Sure."

He looked momentarily distracted. "I'm so sorry, Evelyn, but my dad is calling me," he said apologetically.
I put a hand on his shoulder. "It's okay, I'll see you tomorrow, 'kay?"

He nodded, and moved up to kiss me on the cheek. "I'll send you the address as soon as I escape my dad."

Now I was alone.

I quietly trot to my favorite tree, my inner turmoil threatening to burst. My mate cannot be... Wilfred Liao, the Lunsolae alpha's son. The enemy. The one whose father nearly killed my mother.

―――――――――――――――――――――――――

The joy of meeting my mate, the sorrow of not being able to be with him. Esther and I shared the same grief, for our mates were twin brothers.

I could only think of one thing: clandestine meetings with our mates. There was too much tension between Lunsolae and the other packs. Our father wouldn't understand.

[Ev, I can feel your sorrow. What is going on?] Kyle asked me.

[Get Esther and we'll discuss this in the mindlink.]

Esther and Kyle trotted to my position and waited.

[Esther, don't deadpan, I know your mate is Alfred Liao.] Being a full Musical like my mom, I had better senses than anyone, especially scent. Esther had only had the slightest contact with Alfred, but I could still smell his scent on her.

[Well yours is Wilfred Liao.] She retorted.

[MATES WITH THE ENEMY!?] Kyle exclaimed in the mindlink. Esther and I cringed.

[Well they weren't the ones who tortured mom...] Esther said.

[Whoops- well- perhaps I need to take a break from intel. Evelyn may be safe but Alfred is the putative heir. My research into Lunsolae has concluded that the general belief is wrong. Wilfred was born after Kira was in 20 hours of labor. An hour later, she was rushed into the operating room for an emergency c-section for Alfred, and was in coma for two weeks. Wilfred is a far more capable alpha than Alfred, but their father spread a rumor that Alfred was going to be alpha. Clarimond is kind of dumb, eh?] Kyle said in a robotic explanation voice, adding some mechanical snickering at the end.

[So I'm the one with a dumb mate!? And all this time I thought Felix was going to be my mate, coz he never let any boys near me and even Akira admitted that she liked his wolf too.] Esther ranted and sighed.

[We should probably leave it at that.] Kyle said. We nodded.

[Are you guys telling dad or the others?] he asked.

[No!] Esther and I exclaimed at the same time.

[Ken is leading Symphonia negotiations with over covens and Jordi just met her mate, whoever he is.] I added.

[Alright, let's head back. We all need rest from those annoying birthday celebrations.]

[Dad just mindlinked me with an update, Ken met his mate and she is the right-hand witch's daughter, Cantatrix. Oh, and by the way, Jordi's mate is Ares.] Kyle told us.

[Oh dear. This does not bode well for her.]