6.2| The Beta

Present time, Jordine's pov (Last to be born in her quintuplet siblings)

Our future beta is ice. Ever since the attack from four years ago, he has been closed off, like a clam clamped shut. He acts coldly and will passively aggressively wave you off. Even one of the most annoying wolves around here, Corvinna Low, will not dare to mess with Ares.

Corvinna is the daughter of Duanna Low and a Lunsolae warrior called Morris, who mated with her mother, but rejected her after. Duanna was in my father's old pack, Silver Clouds, and moved up with the rest of the pack and settled in Musicon. However, she accepted an offer from Randall as she had access to both Musicon and Twoset. 

She had sent threats to my parents and assisted in kidnapping my mother. Randall promised to kill Emmaline (my aunt), then-future Luna of Gold Coast, so that Duanna could take the Luna position. However, by the time we found out, she had gone missing. Eventually, she found her mate at Lunsolae.

It was the morning of our (my siblings and I's) birthday, and I saw no trace of Ares. I was supposed to give him a report on the future Lunsolae alphas, courtesy of Kyle, but he was nowhere to be found. I clenched my teeth, annoyed.
How hard can it be?

So I stalked off to my dad's office, and lo and behold, he was conversing with my father. My dad looked up at me. "I was just joking with Ares that if he was an elemental, he'd have water, so he could make ice daggers with me." Ares wore an amused look on his face, something seldom seen these days, and I missed seeing him smile. We used to be inseparable.

The look was wiped off his face when he looked into my eyes, and replaced by utter shock. Panic flashed through his eyes.

"Mate!" Leona, my wolf, and I whispered.

"MINE!" he yelled and jumped up from the chair.

[Damn it, can we talk? I need to tell you something...] Ares mindlinked me.My heart beat faster, my anxiety gripped me. I tried to control the spinning in my head with a deep breath. Was he going to reject me?

[Okay.] I replied.

"Dad, Ares and I are going to go talk somewhere," I said, continuing to take deep breaths.

"NO FUNNY BUSINESS, OR HELIOS WILL ROAST YOU ALIVE!" It was no secret that I was Helios' favorite niece, and if anyone attempted something, he would not hesitate to take action.

Ares burst out laughing, and I was in shock. He stopped suddenly, as if he was not used to laughing, and turned to my dad.

"Please do not worry, Alpha Jordan, I will not attempt anything! Far from that actually!" Ares smiled at my dad, but it did not reach his eyes. His comment only made my head spin more.Ares gently took my arm and led us out. I could not resist staring up at his face. "The last time you laughed was four years ago!"

"I suppose so," he answered simply. We continued walking, and headed into the forest. After several minutes, Ares stopped at a tree, and motioned for me to climb up.

Once I was up, I laid my head on the branch behind me. My head stopped spinning, and I eyed him curiously.

His expression was stone cold.

Leona paced in my head. Mate please no, please please please... she murmured.

"You are going to reject me aren't you?"

Panic flashed through his eyes again. "No! I meant... it's really hard to say this... although I have my wolf, I haven't shifted... or rather, I can't..."

Are's pov

I panicked again. "No! I meant... it's really hard to say this... although I have my wolf, I haven't shifted... or rather, I can't..."