8| The Undermining

Jordan's pov

Alexine and I knew that Corvinna's attempts would not stop. We knew she was working for someone. Once I snagged that necklace from Corvinna, I signalled Alexine to alert Marita of our arrival.

We had packed everything already. From clothes to dried food to our laptops, everything of every sort was tossed into our two backpacks. We also took two water bottles.

Once I finalized instructions for Ken and Cantatrix, Alexine and I put on our camo boots, pants, and camo jackets. Kyle had found us the newly changed patrol schedule of Lunsolae. They had a website on which they uploaded their schedules, and although it was not indexed, you could still find it.

Alexine and I trekked to the Musicon-Lunsolae border, and according to the schedule, we would need to wait five minutes before Lunsolae swapped patrollers. We sprayed ourselves with bug spray and other scents to mask it, since I couldn't afford to use my limited stash of a special herb that concealed scents for several days.

The five minutes passed. Since Alexine and I had powers, our senses were much better. A very slight but constant rustle indicated that we could slip in without being noticed. At once we followed the newly sprouted grass among the thick layer of leaves. It led us to a small, secluded cottage beside a shallow lake.

Upon our arrival, a woman who looked to be around my parents age stepped out. "I'm Althea Kendall, in case you forgot, and Rita is inside." She smiled.
Alexine chuckled. "How could I forget? I saw you and Athena back at Silver Clouds! Brian was always making rounds to my place, since our complicated family connections meant Cole was always bothering us."

"Lex, how great it is to see you and your mate! So you have procured the thing?" She opened the door. We walked in.

"We have." Inside, it oozed warm lights and cozy. The living room and kitchen were to the right, and the laundry room and staircases to the basement and second floor were to the left.

"Ri! They're here!" Althea shouted.

"You mean Jordan and Alexine? All right! Let me get Nelli!"
A few seconds later, another woman with short dark brown hair made her way down the stairs with a young girl who looked to be around 13 years old.

"Lex! Jordan!" Marita ran to embrace Alexine and me in a giant bear hug.

"This is my 13 year old daughter, Cornelia Webern-Schoenberg, Nelli for short. Before you get scared, remember that although my mate is, or was, Oren Schoenberg, who was Otis' nephew, he was killed by Alberich since Oren is in the line of succession to the Lunsolae Alpha title."

We nodded understandingly.

Marita continued. "My maiden name is Webern, and I have a brother named Yevgeny. His mate is Althea, and they have twin sons Franz and Daniel Webern. They are here too, and they fled from Solune."

Alexine and I unzipped our jackets, laid down our backpacks on the bench beside us. (this is a real, wooden bench, not the replacement for the b word :))))
We took out slippers and put our boots on the tray underneath the bench. "That's your bench now," Marita said. "Our only guestroom is upstairs though, are you staying overnight?"

Alexine spoke before I could. "It depends... We'll decide once we draw a conclusion from the necklace."

"Alright, let's proceed to the living room."Once everyone sat down, Althea took a sniff. "Definitely dark magic."

Marita's expression turned grim. "The only witch I know who can-" Marita was cut off by a phone ringing. She took her phone out and answered it.

Althea signalled us to remain silent.