~Chapter 3~

Jake was driving in front of me on his Kawasaki. I sped up, shifting into 4th gear, and drove beside him. He looked towards me, and unexpectedly popped his front tire into the air. Show off, I said to myself. His tire kept getting higher and higher, until he flipped the entire bike. Slamming on my back brake, I turned my bike off and ran toward his. I held in the kill switch on his bike, and looked over at my idiotic brother, who was rolling around on the ground.

" I'm dying! I thought I could pull that off," Jake laughed, sitting up.

I fell to the ground beside him, laughing hard, causing tears to fall from my eyes. " I knew you weren't going to make it! Your tire just kept getting higher and higher!" I exclaimed, giggling.

Jake is the funniest person in my whole family. He always knew how to make someone laugh, even by doing something as stupid as popping a wheelie when he knew he wasn't going to land it. My parents are more serious, and will sometimes take offense to jokes easily.

" I hope my bike is ok."

I turned to face him, my jaw dropping. " You just dumped your bike in the middle of nowhere and you wonder if it's is ok? What if you aren't ok?"

Jake smirked. " Yeah? Bikes before ourselves right?"

That was our moto. Well, mostly Jake's. He always says if your bike is broke, that is your first priority. Even if your dying, you take care of your bike. 

I sighed, and Jake stood up. He bent down, and offered me his hand. I grabbed it, and he pulled me up to my feet. The early summer breeze rustled the newly green leaves on the trees as we started our bikes, and continued our ride.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me and Jake pulled into my great grandmother's driveway around 5:00pm that night. We decided we would take the long, dirt road back to the house, just in case the boys were out in the fields.

I shut my bike off, and took my helmet off my head. " Want to stay for supper?"

" I guess. I'm starving!" Jake replies as he takes his gloves off.

We pushed our bikes into the barn, and put our helmets, gloves, and goggles on the shelf by the door. I exited the spacious barn, and Jake pulled the white door shut. He locked it, and we walk, exhausted, towards the house.

I opened the front door, and held it for Jake. I took my boots off, and noticed a pile of my cloths and Jake's on the dryer. I grab my stack, and rush into the bathroom. I change into gray sweatpants, and a white crop top. While I was brushing my hair, footsteps stopped outside of the door.

" Hurry up, Shortie! I don't have all day!"

I rolled my eyes as I opened the door and found Jake leaning against the door frame. In his arms is a blue t-shirt and sweatpants. " Happy?" I asked.

" Yes I am!" Jake exclaimed, walking passed me and shutting the bathroom door.

I walked into the kitchen to see my great grandmother at the stove flipping chicken burgers and fries onto a pan. " Here," I said quickly, grabbing the spatula from her.

" I could've done that!"

" I don't want you getting burnt!"

I am extremely close to my great grandmother. I have been ever since I was about 6. After ten years, I couldn't resist staying the night, and most girls would hate the idea of hanging with their great grandmother all summer. I'm the complete opposite.

Jake entered the kitchen, and sat down at the table. My phone vibrated in my pocket, and I placed the burgers and fries back into the oven. I pressed the lock button, and noticed I got a new text from an Unknown number.

Unknown: Hey, Kaylie! It's Kolby.

My heart beats faster as I look at the screen. I didn't think he would actually text me, I said to myself.

Me: Hi! How was the rest of your ride?

Kolby: Great! I met a group of guys and I'm pretty good friends with them now after riding all day with them. How about you?

Me: It was pretty good!

" Kaylie must be talking to her boyfriend," Jake said, smirking.

" I am not! I met a guy when I was riding earlier and I gave him my number. That's all."

Jake's expression went from teasing to confused. " I thought you didn't want anyone to know you ride?"

" I don't, but he promised not to tell anyone. He just moved here so he doesn't really know anyone."

My great grandmother sat down at the table, facing me. " What's his name?"

I leaned against the counter, facing them both. " Kolby Reynolds."

" I met his parents today! They live just down the road from us," My great grandmother explained, " Their names are Nick and Madison. He doesn't have any siblings though. Nice people!"

I nod my head as I took our supper out of the oven. We ate our food as Jake tells my great grandmother all about his spill in the field. She just shook her head and I laughed the whole time. We finished eating, and my great grandmother went to watch the news as me and Jake cleaned the dishes.

" This was a great day," I murmur, drying a plate and placing it in the wooden cupboard.

" It was. Well I should get going," Jake answered as he hands me the last plate, " I'm starting to feel sore from my fall. Anyways, I will see you sometime in the next few days I'm sure."

I smiled, and gave him a hug. Me and my brother are still very close even since he moved into an apartment close to his University. He's studying to become a conservation officer for all the animal parks around the area.

After Jake left, I had a quick shower and head to bed. I checked all my social media accounts, and my eyes started to feel droopy. Finally, I dozed off into sleep, me and Kolby's encounter still on my mind.