~Chapter 14~

Jinx wrapped one arm around Kolby's shoulders as we waited in silence. " I didn't know what hit me!" Jinx said, laughing weakly, " Just thought it was a branch or something. Then I started getting weak so I shut my bike off and must've passed out."

" If we hadn't have found you, you could've been dead by now," Kolby replied.

Alex sat down on a tree stump, and folded his arms. " I actually didn't know he had that gun, Jinx. Cole had some... Drinks before we came to find you."

" Alex, I'm fi-"

" I thought when we found you we could just, you know, give you a few punches. Tell you to back off from Ashley."

" Alex, list-"

" He's used to getting everything he wants. He didn't mean to almost kill you. Trust me. Hes sor-"

" Alex!" Jinx yelled furiously, " I'm fine! Once they stitch me up at the hospital we can talk about this like men."

Kolby glared at Alex. " It wasn't your fault, Alex."

Even though Alex is considered the group leader, he is mostly in the dark about anything that happens with Mark or Cole. When they started to steal peoples gas for their bikes, Alex didn't have a clue what they were doing. He had to keep them at his place while the cops searched for their red dirt bikes all over Freetown for over 2 months. He gave them each a beating and told them to never do a stunt so stupid again.

Alex gave him a sad smile. " Those boys would be in so much trouble if I didn't take care of them. Heck, they could be in jail right now if it wasn't for me."

" They couldn't be that bad. Could they?" I asked, curiousity filling my voice.

" Yeah! They stole gas from people around here in the middle of the night, get drunk at parties every weekend, and a lot more," Alex sighed, shuffling his feet nervously as we hear a truck engine approaching.

Mark stopped his red Dodge truck in front of us, and we all helped Jinx into the back. I jumped in beside him, and Kolby on the other side. Alex rides shotgun, and Mark started to drive out of the woods. " Cole is on his way to the hospital now," Mark murmured, as we drove onto the road.

I sighed, and Jinx moaned in agony. " It hurts. I hope you don't mind blood on your seat, Mark."

" It will hurt until they get the bullet out of you, and the seats are leather. So it's fine," Mark replied.

We continued the rest of the drive in silence, and soon, Mark pulled into the hospital parking lot. We all jumped out, and Kolby flung Jinx's arm over his shoulder. We walked to the doors, and Cole joined us from the sidewalk. We walked into the hospital, and instantly, nurses came rushing to Jinx. " We need a doctor right away!" One of them said.

" On it," The other replied, running off into a room.

The nurse looked at Jinx, concern in her brown eyes. " Honey, how did you get shot?"

Jinx opened his mouth, but Cole stopped him. " I was, ah, shooting cans off in the woods. He was riding his dirt bike by me and I-I didn't see him in time," Cole stuttered, looking at his feet.

A doctor walked up to us. " Ok, I'm doctor Louis, what's your name?" He asked.

" Jinx."

" Come with me and Marissa, Jinx. We will get you fixed up. Please, everyone go home and get some rest. You all look terrible. He won't be released until later on tomorrow if we are lucky," Doctor Louis said, taking Jinx from Kolby.

We watched helplessly as they lead him down the hallway, and into a room. Alex cleared his throat. " I'm going with Cole. We have some... Business to take care of," He said, glaring at Cole.

Cole's eyes widened in fear as Alex grabbed his arm angrily and dragged him out of the hospital. Mark smiled at me and Kolby. " I will take you guys back to your bikes. I can take Alex and Jinx's bikes to their house on the back of my truck."

I nodded slowly, and Kolby grasped my hand as we made our way out of the hospital. I felt his whole body shake beside me, and I rubbed his hand with my thumb. " It's going to be ok, I promise. He's in good hands, Kolby," I whispered softly.

" Yeah," Kolby replied, opening the back door of the truck for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I tied the last cable on Jinx's bike. I jumped out of the back of the truck, and Mark smiled. " Thanks guys. See you around."

He got into his truck, and left me and Kolby in the forest. Kolby collapsed to the ground, and I rushed to him. Sobs shook his body, and when he looked up at me, his eyes were red and puffy. " What if he doesn't make it? Kaylie, he wasn't even awake when the doctor took him. He's my best friend, I shouldn't have left him."

" Hey, look at me," I said, holding his face to make him look into my eyes, " He's strong. The doctor's know what they are doing. Trust me, he will be fine."

Kolby smiled weakly, and softly placed his lips on mine. I pulled away, pulling him to his feet. " Come on. Let's head back," I whispered.

He nodded, and every piece of my heart breaks for him. I never could imagine if Jillisa got shot. I would be feeling so much pain, I couldn't even cope with it.