Chapter 13:

Chloe:

It was cold and humid when I entered the club a few days later. On my way to change into my costume for the show, I greeted Beca who was showing someone new around.

"Hey, Becs." I trilled and smiled at her. "Everything alright? Who's this?" I pointed to the new bartender.

"This is Tom.", she said gesturing to him. "He'll be our new bartender."

Tom turned around and looked at me for a moment, his eyes widening in shock. "Chloe?! Chloe Beale? Oh my god, what are the odds?"

I needed a second to realize, but when I did, I was shook. It was Tom Middleton from high school. The boy who had thrown me into the lake as a joke in senior year. He was tall and had brown locks. His green eyes still as mesmerizing as they had been years ago.

"Tom? Wow. What a small world."

While I was talking to him I noticed Beca's gaze linger on me. Tom walked around the bar and embraced me. I was taken by surprise and hesitantly returned his hug. When he moved away, his hands rested on my arms and he let his eyes wander up and down my body. Beca watched the scene with her poker face.

"You two know each other?", she asked after a while.

Tom answered, "Yes. We went to high school together. Pretty great time, huh?"

For him, it may have been a great time. For me, it had been hell on earth almost every day.

"I'm just glad it's over." I answered and added, "I'm going to get changed for the show. See you later Tom."

I went backstage, got changed, did my make-up and a while later the show started. During the show, I could see Tom's eyes locked on me. As soon as the curtain closed, I went to the bar. I needed a glass of water, or even better, a whole bottle. I sat down on one of the stools and Tom came over.

"Hey.", he greeted. "You were amazing up there. What can I get you?"

"Hey. Thanks. A glass of water, a huge one." I replied, still a little out of breath. Tom got a glass and shoveled some ice into it. Then he let some lemon slices fall in and poured water over it. He sat the glass down in front of me and smiled.

"Long time no see... What have you been up to after high school?" He had some nerves. I was just annoyed that he was here and that I had to deal with him daily now.

"Tom, what are you doing?" I questioned, a stern look on my face.

"What do you mean?" I wasn't sure if he was mimicking the cluelessness, or if he was actually oblivious.

"You know exactly what I mean, Tom." I retorted coldly.

"Seriously? You're still angry that I pushed you into the lake? That was years ago!"

"You humiliated me in front of everyone, Tom. I was a joke to you- to everyone- back then." I got up from the barstool, taking my glass of water, and wanted to go. Tom quickly jogged around the bar and grabbed my arm to stop me.

"I'm sorry, Chloe. I was just a stupid kid, who wanted to be popular."

"And I was just a kid, who fell for the stupid, popular guy. I should've known better." I sarcastically retorted. I removed my arm from his grip and walked away. I was about to find Beca to talk to her about Tom and his pathetic apology, when a pair of hands spun me around, cornering me. It was Tom. His hands were firmly holding me by my waist, my back against the wall. He stared at me for a moment. I looked into his eyes and felt heat rising in my cheeks. Why was I suddenly flustered by him? He came closer and brought his mouth to my ear.

"Actually, Chloe... I had a mad crush on you back then."

"Why?" I shouted over the loud music.

"Why what?", he asked with a smirk on his face.

"Why did you tell me that?"

"I thought you should know.", he smugly stated. I didn't know what to answer to that, so I stayed silent. He slowly leaned in and whispered, "You were so hot up there tonight. I imagined everything I would do to you if we were alone while you were dancing."

I got goosebumps from his hot breath on my skin. His hands moved up and down my sides. I was frozen to the spot, gazing into his mesmerizing green eyes. He leaned in and I closed my eyes. At first he kissed me tenderly, but quickly picked up intensity. When he grabbed my butt with one hand, I heavily breathed into the kiss.

We ended up in my dressing room, roughly making out. He was sitting on the little sofa that was standing in one corner. I sat on his lap, rolling my hips against the bulge forming in his pants. A few minutes later, my hands were working his erect penis. His hands had found their way to my back, unclasping my bra. He threw it to the floor next to the sofa before his hands grabbed my breasts, massaging them.

"Take off your panties and let's have some fun.", he quietly commanded.

"Take your hands off her and leave her alone! Otherwise, I'm going to have some fun with you, do you hear me?" I heard Beca's voice behind me. Totally shocked and caught, I got up from his lap, quickly put on my bra and turned around, looking at a fuming Beca.

"Beca, I..." I stuttered. What had I done?!

"I guess your feelings for me aren't as strong after all...Next time, at least lock the door." The disappointment and sadness in her voice were suffocating.

"Becs..." I reached out for her hand, but she was walking away already.

What had I been thinking? Stupid little me. I went to find Beca, leaving a foolishly grinning Tom behind. I had to talk to her about this. If anywhere, she was going to be in her office backstage. When I had finally reached it, I gently knocked on the door.

"Come in.", she said from the inside and I slowly opened the door.

When she saw it was me, her face darkened, "I don't want to talk to you right now."

"I'm sorry, Beca. I don't know what's gotten into me.. I didn't mean for it to hap-" I started explaining, but Beca cut me off.

"Chloe, don't. We need to talk about this- and we will...but right now, I just need some space.", she said with a determined voice.

"Okay." I answered meekly. My guilt was gnawing at me. I left her office and went home straight after Studio 22 closed.

Later that night, while I was sitting on my sofa, I thought about what Tom had told me. He had a crush on me? I found that hard to believe. He had been a player then, and I highly doubted he wasn't one now. He knew exactly what to say to get what he wanted. And then his audacity to tell me that I looked hot on stage. Of course he would say that after I had lost 75 pounds. He didn't want anything to do with me in high school, but the second I lost weight and my skin cleared he was standing on my doorstep, claiming he wanted to have fun. I was mad at myself, boiling on the inside because despite knowing this, I had been stupid enough to fall for his trap. The way his green eyes were scanning my body intensely, crave and desire visible in his eyes, made me feel wanted.

My thoughts shifted to Beca and the way she had looked at me tonight. I had hurt her so much. How could I do the same thing Thea had done to me? I knew how it felt and yet I still let my chaotic feelings take over. I should've controlled myself better. I was scolding myself for this. I had ruined everything! Space was the last thing I wanted to give her, but I knew better than to let my feelings blindly take over again. I lay awake for hours that night, thinking about what had happened with Tom and Beca's hurt look, trying to come up with a reason why I had done it.
I didn't find one.