Chapter 15:

Chloe:

"Yeah." Beca said while sitting down next to me. I looked at her through teary eyes. She sighed heavily and pulled me into a hug. My tears started rolling again, falling onto her shoulder.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Becs." I mumbled still hugging her tightly.

"Shh."

Beca soothingly rubbed my back. I tried to calm down, taking some deep breaths. I loosened my grip and we parted, looking at each other.

"I ruined everything..." I thought out loud, tears filling my eyes once more. "I don't know why I did it... He told me he had a crush on me during high school and I...I.." I desperately sighed, not knowing what to say that wouldn't make everything even worse.

"Feelings aren't so easy to control, huh?", she asked and I thought she meant to be snarky. "Especially unrequited ones that are suddenly requited. Why you did it doesn't matter, I guess.", she shrugged.

"What does this mean for us?" I almost didn't dare to ask this question.

"Honestly, I don't know... We should go inside."

"We?" I asked confused.

"Yes. We. Chloe, this is a shitty small town. All the motels are either permanently closed or fully booked by now. Now come on."

We went inside, Beca's mother sitting at the kitchen table.

"Mom, this is Chloe. She's my....", she hesitated. I guess she didn't know what to call me.

"Hello, Honey. Nice to meet you. I'm Diane.", her mom said while smiling at me. My puffy eyes and red cheeks gave away I had been crying. I appreciated that Beca's mom didn't mention anything. We sat down and ate. It was silent and extremely awkward.

"Mom? I told Chloe she could stay with us." Beca said to her mom while they loaded the dishwasher.

"Oh, of course, little bean." I had to bite back a smile. Watching Beca and her mom was a much-needed distraction.

Later that night, Beca had secluded in her room upstairs and I was sitting in the living room with her mother watching TV.

"She'll come around. You just need to give her some time.", she told me while not even looking away from the screen.

"I'm sorry, what?"

"Honey, I may be old,", she laughed. "but I'm not senile. I knew it the moment you were standing in front of me. The way you look at my little bean... You love her, don't you?"

"I'm going to go to bed. Good night, Diane." I avoided the question. I went upstairs, tired, my eyes burning from all the crying. I got ready for bed and was glad to get some sleep when I realized I would have to share the bed with Beca. I quietly opened the door to Beca's room, not knowing if she was asleep already. I stuck my head through the door and saw Beca sitting at her desk, a desk lamp the only source of light. I fully opened the door and Beca turned her head. She just looked at me for a moment before turning her attention back to her desk. I quietly crawled into bed, getting as comfortable as I could. I watched Beca for a while before my eyes fell shut.

My eyes slowly opened a few hours later. Beca was still sitting at her desk. She looked tense. She stretched her arms into the air, taking a deep breath. Then she quietly stood up and got changed. I closed my eyes, pretending to be asleep. She got into bed next to me and turned to her side. I felt her fingers on my forehead, gently tucking away a strand of hair behind my ear, her hand resting on my cheek after. Then I felt her warm breath on my forehead, her lips brushing against my skin. She sighed quietly.

Studio 22On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara