Chapter VIII

„Has anyone seen my mascara?"

Parvati came out of our shared bathroom, wearing only a towel. That poor girl was terribly nervous because Harry had asked her to be his date for the Yule Ball. I felt bad for her, because I knew that Harry panicked, so he only asked her because he knew no one asked her for a date yet either.

„No, but you can use mine.", I smiled at her.

I sat on my bed, just in my underwear. A towel still on my head while I tried to paint my nails, because I wanted them in the same emerald green as my dress.

We all had beautiful dresses.

Hermione's dress were made of a floaty periwinkle-blue material, and with Lavender's help, she had straightened her hair, which was tied up into an elegant knot at the back of her head.

Parvati and Padma wore similar pink and orange sari-style dress robes. The only difference were that Padma had a pink choli and an orange sari and Parvati's were the other way round. They both wore their long black hair open.

Lavender's dress were a minty green that ended just above her knees. Her curly hair in a simple up do.

Mine was a long dress in emerald green, with a semi-sheer top and a deep V-neckline. I had my long red hair in curls and a half bun.

-----
It was half past seven when we were ready and made our way down to the great hall.

My heart was beating out of my chest and I was focused on my steps to not trap over my own feet. I was definitely not used to wearing heels.

Our three roommates were ahead of us. That left Hermione and me time to talk.

Hermione didn't tell anyone but me about her date with Victor. She was hoping Ron would have asked her. But now she was very excited about Victor.

When we reached the stairs that led down to the great hall, we stopped. We looked at each other and reassured one another without words.

-----
It was common for the Triwizard Champions and their partners to dance the opening dance. To be honest, not exactly something I was looking forward to.

Hermione took my hand and with a last deep breath we walked around the corner and took the first steps on the stairs.

When we first were spotted by our classmates, the conversations stopped and heads were turned towards us.

I saw Cedric standing beside Victor. Both of them were grinning widely as soon as they saw us. I waved at Cedric and smiled back at him.

He looked handsome in his black dress robes, a white dress shirt and a black bow tie.

My gaze wandered and when I saw him I nearly tripped. If it wasn't for Hermione still holding my hand I most likely fell down the stairs.

He stood with George whose date were Lee, even if they won't admit it, and Angelina.

When his eyes met mine I quickly looked away.

I do not care about him. I do not need him.

As we reached the end of the stairs Cedric and Viktor approached us.

He took my hand and kissed the back of it.

„You look absolutely beautiful, Penny."

„Thank you, dress robes really suit you."

The door opened and the other students entered the great hall. McGonagall came over to us and ordered us to wait until everyone was inside.

And then it was time for us. We entered the great hall under the eyes of our classmates and teachers.