Chapter XL

The couple talked all night about Penny’s disease, about the treatment, about what’s next and how they want to tell their families.

Penny was reluctant to go public with it, but after Fred explained to her that at some point in the treatment she couldn’t hide it anyway and that everyone will be there for her, she agreed.

And so they decided to break the news at the next dinner at the Burrow.

„I’d like to tell Georgie and Hermione beforehand. And I asked Dad to tell Sirius,“ she had said, and Fred had nodded.

George and Hermione walked into the flat that Saturday afternoon, both clearly confused as to why Penny and Fred had called them over.

They met a Penny who was on the verge of her nerves when Fred opened the door and let them in.

George and Hermione exchanged a worried look as they sat across from Penny while Fred set the table with tea and biscuits.

„So, what’s so important that you can’t wait until tomorrow, that you want to tell us alone?“ George broke the silence that was laying heavy in the air.

Fred sat down next to Penny and took her hand, which he squeezed supportively, signaling her to be there for her.

„There’s something I have to tell you, but you’ve probably figured that out for yourself by now. I would ask you to listen before you say anything. And please, no tears and no pity,“ she began, looking at her two friends whose eyes grew more concerned by the second.

„You kinda scaring me here Penny.“ George tried to laugh, but it only came out as a nervous chuckle.

And with one last help-seeking look at Fred, who encouraged her with a nod, she began to tell the story.

Penny was strong, everyone knew it, but when she saw her best friends sitting in front of her while she talked about it, it was hard to even look at their shocked faces and she didn’t want to imagine what tomorrow would be like, if she had to repeat everything in front of nearly the whole family.

George was on the verge of tears but kept his composure as Hermione kept biting her lower lip, which was shaking violently.

„So, yeah… I think that’s it.“ Penny exhaled as she waited for a reaction.

„I don’t know what to say.“ Hermione spoke first and amazed them with her statement.

„I think I’m at loss for words for the first time in my life.“

„You don’t have to say anything. You should just know. And I don’t want pity or sad looks, and I don’t want to be treated like I’m fragile either. Just be like always, okay?“, she smiled and eventually the two nodded reluctantly.

„Great. Now, anyone up for a game and firewhisky?“ the red head girl looked at the two expectantly.

What she didn’t know was that next to her Fred was nodding slowly to reassure George and Hermione that it was okay.

„Sure. Why not?“, the younger twin replied and looked at Hermione who looked apologetically at Penny.

„I’m sorry Penny, I‘m going to meet with Luna tonight,“ she checked her watch before finishing her sentence.

„But, of course, I can also cancel if I’m supposed to stay here.“, and Penny looked at her in disbelief.

„What? No! There’s no way you’re canceling, then go ahead, get out of here, “ she laughed as she pretended to shoo Hermione out of the flat.