Chapter XXIV

Warning - mature content, death

„Yes, very heartwarming, but can we get back to the topic now?” Moody’s voice brought us back to the here and now and we let go of each other, our eyes keeping contact and a smile playing on our lips.
Mrs. Weasley got up and walked over to us.

She looked at me.
„Penny, I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have doubted you. I should have listened to Arthur. I’m really sorry.“ I saw Fred raise an eyebrow questioningly, amazed at his mother’s apology.

„It’s okay Mrs. Weasley, the important thing is that you now know the truth and that I would never have done anything like that to Fred.“ I smiled at her and she nodded.

„Oh and Penny, call me Molly,“ she said before taking a seat next to her husband.

Next up was Bill, who walked around the table and pulled me into a tight hug.

I was a little taken aback by his reaction but hugged him back.

„Thank you, you were very brave, reckless but brave. I wouldn’t be here without you.“, he said and I heard Fleur sniffling in the background.

„All right mate. That’s enough. You have one yourself.“ Fred laughed while pulling Bill away from me, the oldest Weasley brother just shook his head with a smile on his lips.

After we were seated, Fred now next to me, we set about making a plan. We had to get Remus out of there. I had no idea where the manor was, but I memorized it.

„We can apparate. I know how it looks like and I’m sure it will work“ I said, but Sirius and Arthur both shook their heads.

„You were already splinched last time. It’s too dangerous.“, the man with the black hair said and took a sip from his glass.

„Well, we don’t have any other option right now, do we?“ Mad Eye said and we looked at him. His fake eye scanned the room.

„I agree with Mad Eye. We have nothing else,“ Kingsley replied, earning an angry glare from Sirius.

„Well, if there aren’t any other suggestions, we should try it,“ I said. Fred squeezed my hand a little tighter and signaled that he didn’t agree with my suggestion either.

The plan was set. I would apparate to the house with Sirius and once we get there I would wait for Sirius to get Moody, Arthur and Charlie. It would be too dangerous for me to apparate multiple times and with other people because I’m still injured and not that strong. The twins protested that they wanted to go too, but Kingsley insisted only fully trained and qualified Order members be allowed to come.

From my memory, I drew a map of the manor on a piece of parchment so everyone would know where the cell was, where Remus and I were in. Because we had no idea who was in the manor when we arrived, we had to split up. Sirius and Charlie would free Remus while Arthur and Moody kept watch.

„Okay, let’s go then.“ I slapped my hands on my thighs and stood up.

„We’re not going tonight.“ Kingsley frowned and I looked at the others‘ faces questioningly.

„What? Why?“ I braced myself with my palms on the table.

„It’s a full moon! That would be too dangerous, we can’t save him if he’s going to attack us.“ Moody yelled at me and I winced.

Fred got up and took my hand, his eyes on Moody.

„There’s no need to yell at her like that!“ he said seriously.

„She won’t learn any other way! She’s nothing more than an inexperienced child acting out of emotions! Someone has to tell!“, the older man raised his voice once more, his fake eye rotating furiously.

„How are you talking about her?“ I squeezed Fred’s hand and tried to pull him back into his chair but failed.

„Like I talk about all kids! And that’s exactly what you two are.“, he pointed to Fred and George. „and that’s why you won’t come too, because you can’t control yourself!“ He slammed his hand on the table, Fred’s ears were red with anger and he was about to speak when Arthur intervened.

„That’s enough!“, he turned to Mad Eye. „You don’t talk about my children like that, Alastor.“, he spoke in a calm but serious voice before turning to me. „Listen Penny, I know you want to get Remus out of there as soon as possible, but we can’t help him tonight. It’s too dangerous for all of us.“ I took a deep breath and nodded.