Chapter XV

Christmas went as fast as it came. Arthur was allowed to go home and we celebrated Christmas with him.

After our kiss, Fred and I were even closer than before. We spent the nights together, secret glances and kisses when nobody was looking.

A little smile here, a little wink there. I’ve never been so happy before and my red-headed prankster alone was the reason.

It was our last night before we had to go back to Hogwarts. Fred and I were cuddled up in my bed, he was spooning me, with his arm and one leg over my body.

There was soft music playing in the background, it had became common for us to hear music.

Sometimes we would just lay there for hours without speaking, just listening to the soft sounds that surrounded us. Sometimes it felt like the music was saying what we didn’t dare to say out loud.

„What are you thinking about? “ Fred’s voice broke the thought that hung heavily over my head.

„Is it that obvious?“ I asked as I turned around to face him.

„I can almost hear your brain working, so tell me what’s going on in that pretty head of yours?“, he tapped my forehead gently.

I closed my eyes, not having enough courage to look him in the eye.

Was it shame, or was I scared of receiving an answer that I didn’t want to hear? What were we? Were we just friends? Maybe he just saw me as a friend. What if I was just doing nice during the holidays?

And as soon as we got back to our everyday life, he would forget about me. I was sure I wouldn’t survive this.

„Penny, look at me.“, He ran his finger over my cheek. I hesitantly opened my eyes.

„No matter what it is, you can tell me,“ he assured me.

„What am I to you?“, I swallowed.

His gaze grew serious, his eyes wandered between mine. He propped himself up on one elbow.

„You mean everything to me, Penny.“
I frowned.

„That wasn’t an answer,“ I said, sliding his leg off me.

„What? Of course. What do you want to hear?“, he asked as he sat up.

„I want to know what we have?“, I gestured between us.

„And I told you, you mean everything to me. What else can I say? Hey Penny, be my girlfriend?“, he scoffed.

I stared at him with open eyes. Girlfriend?

„You’re not serious.“, I rolled my eyes and sat up too.

„Of course I’m serious. What do you think? That I’m doing this all for fun?“, his voice grew louder.

„I don’t know, Fred, that’s why I’m asking!“

„And I answered!“

I laughed and got up.

„You aren’t serious?! I practically asked you if you want to be my girlfriend.“, he followed me.

„Yeah, probably out of pity! The poor girl whose first boyfriend was murdered.“, I said through gritted teeth.

Fred laughed out loud.

„You’re so.. damn… !“ he stared at me. An unreadable expression on his face.

„What?“, I laughed at him

„You’re… just.. oh my God..“, his expression changed while he continued to stare at me.