Subject: The One Person I Thought I Wouldn't Lose

happy December!! Spider-Man: No Way Home is releasing this Friday (December 17th, but I get to see it on Thursday, haha losers 🤪✨) and I'm still stuck on IronDad and SpiderSon. What else do you expect of a fangirl, eh?

Prompt: Tony is in a coma after the final battle of Endgame, and Peter is, respectfully, losing his mind.

TRIGGER WARNING!! ANXIETY, SELF HARM, COMA, AND PROBABLY MENTAL ILLNESS

enjoy, at your own risk haha
❤️💙❤️💙❤️💙

********

Peter sat on the plastic chair by the side of Tony's hospital bed. He had been here for days, but to no avail; Tony did not wake up.

The only things he could hear were the beeping of the heart monitor and the ticking of the clock on the wall. But, he could also hear every single one of his thoughts. It's your fault. You could have saved him. He's not waking up. You don't deserve hope. You never deserved him, and you let him down. You let his family down.

Peter felt the anger and his blood boiling. He was just so angry. Why was it always him? Never mind. It was because he deserved it.

"Mr. Stark," the teenager rasps out. His throat was dry and scratchy. He hadn't eaten or drank anything but one bottle of water (per the orders of Pepper) since he got to the facility and to the medbay. His own voice sounded strange to him, but he chose to ignore it.

He saw red as he stood and his anger just burst.

"I've been sexually assaulted! I've been harassed, bullied, stabbed, shot at, betrayed! I've lost, and I've lost, and I've lost. Then I've grieved, and grieved, and grieved. Every damn time!" Peter seethes through gritted teeth. He kicks a chair halfway across the room and it smacks into an examining table. The loud crash made the hero wince but he didn't care. "The one person- The one person I thought I wouldn't lose.."

"..was you," Peter finishes, his voice at a whisper.

He doesn't bother to sit down again in the stupid plastic chair, he just slides down the wall and puts his head in his knees. He sobs, but grieves quietly.

********

Tony heard yelling, and a crash. He heard the voice, and eventually crying. He knew who this was. Goddamnit, who was he listening to?

A hiccup sounded in the empty room, and a shy, timid, broken-sounding voice seemed to ricochet off the wall.

"Mr. Stark," Peter said. It came out as more of a whimper, and the strangled sob that followed did not prove anything according to the words he had uttered to everyone earlier, "I'm fine."

Peter. Oh my god, it was Peter!

Kid. Kid! Come on, Underoos. Tony tried to speak. He tried to open his eyes but nothing moved.

For almost the rest of the night he sat there and listened to Peter's quiet and unsteady cries.

In the morning, after Tony had heard some things and some others, he heard a conversation between Peter and Pepper.

"Oh, good morning, Ms. Po- Mrs. Stark! Sorry," Peter had said, correcting his mistake, and muttering a timid apology afterwards. Being dead for five years had taken a toll on him and his world as he knew it.

"I'll leave you two be. I'll check in later though. Good luck, Mrs. Stark. Morgan," Peter said.

Tony listened to the plastic chair creak as, what he assumed was, Pete standing up, and then the door shutting as he left. Pepper then entered and the chair creaked again.