New Year's Day

Draco woke up early the next day even though sleep had eluded him last night. He was not sure how today's talk will end up with his mother, and he also did not know how to approach Hermione after last night's embrace.

It was quite an innocent gesture, but the sincerity of her hug and smile warmed his cold heart. He truly made her happy last night, and he wanted to see that smile again. He now realised that even though their relationship started with lies and deceit on his part, her kindness and forgiving nature will eventually make it right. He would try his best to earn her trust and make her realise that he could be a better man for her and their child.

Hermione was still sleeping soundly as he finished preparing himself to visit his mother at the hospital. He quietly walked towards her, and placed a note on the bedside table. The note will let her know that he will be going to St. Mungo's to visit his mother, and will remind her to eat the breakfast on the table (he casted it with a warming spell so it won't get cold easily), and drink her potions once she's awake.

He asked Toby earlier to assist her in everything she might need or want when the little elf delivered Hermione's breakfast.

He controlled the urge of giving her a kiss before going out because he might disturb her peaceful sleep. He walked away silently from her and went out of his room to use the fireplace downstairs instead of the one on his room to Floo to St. Mungo's.

*******************************************

Draco Malfoy walked towards the Janus Thickey Ward of St. Mungo's Hospital where his mother's room was. He saw his mother sitting on her bed, reading a book.

"Mother, Happy New Year," he greeted as he neared her.

Narcissa looked up at him, and gave him a warm smile. "Happy New Year too, Draco," she replied back, lifting her arms towards him for him to give her a hug. "I miss you so much, son," she whispered to him as he embraced her back.

"I miss you too, mother," he answered. He moved back a bit to look at her. "I see you are looking well today," he told her. She looks as if she was just at the manor's library while she was reading a while ago.

"Well, I feel better actually," Narcissa gave him a small smile. "I know that a little boy will be needing his grandmother soon, so I need to be better. Don't you think, darling?" She said matter of factly.

Draco was pleased to hear that from her. If she was feeling better already just by knowing that she will be having a grandchild soon, then when the time comes for the baby to be born she will probably be back to her normal self. And hopefully a better one.

"About that, mother. We need to talk about it," the young man said. "Have you had breakfast already?" He asked.

"I haven't, I wanted to wait for you so we can have breakfast together," Narcissa responded warmly.

"That's great to hear, mother. I already asked your Healer's permission to let us go out of the hospital for a while," he informed her.

"That's great! I would love that," Narcissa said, giving him a warm smile. "Just let me dress up for the weather," she added, standing up and rummaging through her wardrobe.

Draco waited for his mother to finish dressing up. He hopes that her good mood would last so she will agree to his wishes.

********************************************

Hermione Granger woke up feeling refreshed. Eventhough last night made her restless, her full eight-hour sleep with no nightmares invigorated her. Her gaze quickly went towards the sofa where Draco has been sleeping since she came here.