Christmas Holidays (Part 5)

Hermione Granger's Christmas Day for two consecutive years were the worst ones for her, making her feel worser now was the fact that she was feeling sick too.

Nausea swept her ever since waking up at eleven that morning, up until the later hours of the afternoon. Thankfully, nobody has walked in on her while her head was inside a bucket.

Thankfully, Ginny and the boys did not stay long when they went inside the room to greet her a "Happy Christmas".

She also noticed that Ron behaved normally towards her that day, even Harry did too. She was relieved that Harry kept his word and did not spill her secret to Ron nor to Ginny.

Hermione decided to join dinner that night, after all it is Christmas, and she's with people who are important to her.

Dinner was a jolly affair but much quieter than last night's. Hermione tried to join with the light conversations going on during dinner, and it lifted her spirit somewhat.

"Arthur and I are going to Diagon Alley tomorrow to visit George at his shop," Molly Weasley informed them. "You kids want to come too?" She asked them while slicing the chocolate cake she baked for dessert.

"Yes, mum, I'll come with you," Ginny replied enthusiastically, wanting to go out of the house since she has been cooped up inside ever since arriving home for the holidays.

"Harry and I can't, mum. We have to report to work tomorrow," Ron grumbled, but was pleased when Molly gave him a slightly bigger portion of the cake. "Thanks, mum," he added, instantly scooping up some cake and shoveling it to his mouth.

"Hermione dear, how about you?" Molly asked her softly. Ginny has briefed her mother about Hermione's situation earlier so the older woman understands her melancholy.

"Yes, I'll come too, Molly. I would like to visit some shops tomorrow too anyway," she replied and gave her a small smile.

They had tea and biscuits at the living room after dinner just like every night before retiring to bed. Molly and Arthur occupied the same love seat, while Harry and Ginny were sitting on one armchair.

Hermione and Ron were seated on the opposite sides of the living room couch, the previous awkwardness rising again between them. Ron busied himself with eating the biscuits, whilst Hermione focused on her tea.

As usual, the married couple went up first, leaving the teenagers in the room.

Ron sighed loudly, the tension was killing him. "Hermione, could we take a walk outside?" He asked softly, his blue eyes pleading.

"Alright, Ronald," she agreed. Maybe it was time to open up to him too, she thought.

They both stood up, seeing Harry and Ginny were busy snogging, they left them quietly not wanting to interrupt.

When they had walked up to the hill near the house, Ron stopped walking, Hermione a few paces behind him. They both sat down on the grassy hill when she neared him, facing each other.

Hermione took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. She was really nervous, she doesn't know what to tell him, nor how to tell him what's she's currently feeling (or not feeling anymore for him).

"Hermione," Ron started, looking at her straight in the eyes. "I'm really sorry for not being able to find your parents yet, but I assure you, Harry and I are working on it," he assured her.

"I know, Ronald. But that's my fault anyway, obliviating them and sending them off to another continent," she replied softly. She knows that it was her own fault that she was currently parentless, nobody's to blame but herself, except maybe Voldemort.