Chapter 28 [Baby Steps]

My Roommate is the world biggest jerk28

Chapter 28 [Baby Steps]

I may not have chosen the best time to break the news to Aiden. I know that now as I flipped through today’s paper while I sat in the café, in a secluded corner that would guarantee us more privacy. The Queen Matilda had fallen ill it seemed ever since the visit to Monaco and the press only finding out about it now after a statement released addressing the matter.

I sighed and folded the paper and took to my cup of tea. Inhaling the fragrant drink I closed my eyes and took a small sip. I opened my eyes just in time to see Aiden arrive, clad in simple jeans and t shirt with a dark sunglass hiding his eyes.

We didn’t talk as he placed his order and both of us were waiting until the waitress was gone to say anything. He took his shades off and placed them on the table. Butterflies were swarming my stomach again the moment Aiden took his seat. I was nervous and anxious. How can I say those words, how can I strung them together and say it to him. Those little words that, in individual would be insignificant, but together? They could alter someone’s life completely.

I was sure that we were being safe but, it appeared we weren’t being careful enough.

“You said you wanted to talk, so talk. I don’t have much time. My mother is…”

“Sick, I know. I’m so sorry to hear that.” I finished and sighed. “Still I’d wished you could have told me that.” I looked up and our eyes met. Thin frown lines emerged on Aiden’s face.

“When Fay? When you’re not picking my calls?” Aiden lay back to his seat. His tone was calm and he did not even raise his voice but the impact hurt me all the same.

“You should have known better that whatever it was between me and Alex will be nothing more but just friends.”

“Say that to all the other people who’s watching us. How does it make me look or feel when people were coming to me with pictures of you kissing some other guy?”

Appalled, I retorted. “You should’ve trusted me! Besides, it’s Alex!”

At this Aiden shook his head and laughed mirthlessly but I decided not to press on with this madness. We had enough problem and I was about to drop the biggest upon him yet. But unfortunately Aiden took my silence as a sign of confirmation.

“It is him. You’re breaking up with me isn’t it?” at this he got up, pushed his chair back and was about to leave. But I stood up and grabbed his arm.

“Listen to me, we need to talk!” My anger was boiling to the surface and I was doing my best to keep a cool head but Aiden was pushing it. I managed to level my voice so that we did not call unwanted attention to ourselves.

Clenching his fist and grinding his teeth, Aiden whispered. “So talk!”

My heart was thumping as inhaled deeply; I tried to keep my voice steady.  “I’m pregnant.”

Aiden eyes grew round and a sharp intake of breath was heard, later he blinked as his lips were working but no sound was coming out. As if he was trying to remember how to speak Aiden was mouthing the words. When he did speak he settled down on his seat and begun his sentence with a splutter.

“Wha… preg… pregnant?” in an attempt to relax myself I raised my cup of tea and took a sip. “What do you mean, pregnant?” aware of his surroundings, Aiden lowered his voice to a whisper.

“Pregnant, as in there’s a baby growing in me, pregnant. And by baby, I mean your baby.” I calmly said with a weak smile on my lips. Aiden was blinking his eyes rapidly, still unable to come to terms with what I had just said.