Chapter 6 (edited)

Chapter 6 [The Secret Break Up]

Three weeks had passed since my first day in this new school and before I knew it, I was beginning to understand how in the cosmic universe, the school functioned. It was a Saturday when I had the chance to hang out with my friends from my old school.

“How can you stand it there? It’s just full of pompous brats who get their A’s by buying the teachers with their parents’ money.” said Loraine, licking her vanilla ice cream while Addy, short for Addison, nodded along.

I continued to stuff my face with fries. We were at McDonalds enjoying lunch.

“They’re not all that bad.” I muttered slowly, now grabbing my burger.

“Not that bad? Are you kidding me?” Loraine shrieked. I didn’t really know why but Loraine really hated the stuck -up and snobbish upper crust of the society. I guessed long ago she probably had a thing with them that developed into a personal vendetta against them, but I didn’t want to pry.

“I don’t mean all of them! But there are some of them that are… halfway decent.” I said, defending myself and as I slurped my soda, the image of Alex popped into mind.

Since the day he had helped me in that hallway a couple of weeks ago, he had been a constant company. And with him being nice to me, his friends had started to talk to me too, and not throwing insults this time! I remembered when Joshua smiled at me when I accidentally stitched the hem of my project wrong and helped me fix it. And there was that morning when he walked with me from the parking lot to the school building, asking me if I had read any good books lately.

And for the rest of the student body, they had definitely eased up on the torture, torment and name calling department. Now, they just ignored me, which was for the best. I didn’t even know how to talk to them anyway.   So, their cease fire and silent treatment went really well with me and I couldn’t care less.

And there was Mary Sue, Joshua’s girlfriend who was the sweetest thing you’d ever come across. Now, she sat with me during lunch so I was not alone anymore, eating my lunch box in the cafeteria. The boys joined us sometimes, often offering to treat me to lunch which I had so far declined.

“You’ve been brain washed!” Loraine continued, horror struck.

“I am not! I still bring lunch and ride my bike to school and everything!” I defended, looking at Addy for support but she did nothing. She just continued eating her way through the meal.

“It’s a matter of time…” Loraine leered which caused me to gasp and clutch my heart.

“Lulu, how could you!” I exclaimed dramatically, slumping against Addy.

Finally Addy had enough and set her burger down, pushing me away from her. “Quit it you two, can’t we ever have a quiet lunch together?”

Loraine giggled. “Why should we ever? If we were both mature and wise like you, Addy, the world would be a boring place. You should be thankful that you have us, you know?”