thirteen

Weeks passed. Draco visited his mother every weekend with the company of his friends. Theo, Pansy, Milicent, Blaise and Draco sat together with Narcissa in her new room, chatting and laughing around as if her life wasn't hanging on a thread which could snap any moment.

Draco had put on a mask, a habit he had adapted from a young age. He put on a mask which concealed his emotions and feelings.

He hadn't smiled much since the day he got to know about his mother's fate. As if, all emotions except fear had left him.

Hermione sat in the library, poring over a piles of books. Her eyes never left the words on the pages. Her brown eyes literally inhaling the information printed on the paper.

The table was completely covered with books on Muggle diseases and about their cures. The bright afternoon sunlight flashed through the large window, a clear blue sky and a beautiful scenery of Hogwarts could be seen. But neither of them cared, they had more important matters on their hands.

Harry helped her as well, he sorted through the books, finding the one that were relevant and getting rid of the ones that were irrelevant.

Ron was nowhere to be seen. He had been MIA since before breakfast. Harry didn't bother checking the map, he wanted to give the red-head some privacy.

Harry and Hermione were immensely worried.

Hermione let out a sigh of disappointment. "What happened?" Harry asked.

She winced, "I don't think there is a cure for Mrs. Malfoy. It's not there." Harry gaped at her, if he expected anyone to find a cure, it was Hermione. Harry opened his mouth to say something but no words came out.

She huffed sadly, "I really wish I could help them. Merlin knows how much the two have been through already." Harry could just nod along. His mouth set into a frown as he bit his lio in worry.

With that, they packed up the books and left the Library with slumped shoulders.

When Hermione broke the news to Draco, the only thing Harry focused on how heart broken he looked. He just wanted to hold him in his arms and never let go, but then Nott came up and wrapped an arm around his shoulder. The brunet thanked the two Gryffindors and led Draco away from them.

Harry felt a sting in his heart but he ignored it. Draco needs to heal. To heal, he needs someone he is close to and there is no one better than Nott to help him.

His chest ached slightly at the thought, but he ignored it. Just like he always did.

Draco let himself lean on Theo's shoulder, seeking comfort in the way his fingertips rubbed circles on his arm.

After all his last hope was gone. There was nothing he could do anymore.

Everything would depend on fate, which was never in his favor in the first place. All he could do now was wait and just wait.

Harry and Hermione slumped down on the sofa next to each other. Ginny, surprisingly, had joined them.

"You finally remember us?" Hermione gave her a look. Ginny narrowed her eyes, "I have a girlfriend who needed my attention." She said haughtily. Harry gave her a weak smile.

A soft chuckle escaped the brown haired witch's mouth. "I know, Gin. I'm just joking. I hope Luna is doing well, I haven't seen her in a while."

"That's because you're too busy snogging my brother," She stuck her tongue out.

"Ginny!" Hermione blushed.

"Speaking of him. Where is that idiot? I haven't seen him since morning."

Harry huffed, "We haven't seen him either. Has been gone since before breakfast. It's almost lunch."

"Must be in the Kitchens," Hermione said, contemplating. Ginny hummed, her red hair falling over her face as she tilted it side-to-side.

A crease formed between Hermione's eyebrows, she was really worried about him. He just hasn't been the same lately. He's very quiet and even smiles less than before.

She didn't doubt their relationship, she could never do that. She trusted him and he trusted her.

She knew it was something related to Fred's death, yet she never pried or persuaded him to talk.

No matter what, she will always respect his personal space.

The the common room was empty except the three who sat in silence. Each lost in their thoughts. Their eyes glossed over as their heads filled with worry for Ron.

Within a few moments, the door flung open and a smiling and panting Ron appeared in front of them. He had tear streaks across his face, yet his eyes showed joy and happiness.

Hermione gasped, stood up and went towards him. He engulfed her in a short hug and kissed her soundly on the lips, moving apart to give a long hug to Ginny. "Fred!" He breathed, "Fred's portrait! He is here in the castle!" He said excitedly.

They all gasped. Ginny let out a choked sob. "Where?" She asked in a trembling voice.

"I'll take you, Come on! Let's go!" The three nodded furiously and followed him. Their minds buzzing in confusion and worry.

»»--⍟--««