thirty seven

The rain pounded heavily at the windows of the library, black clouds hung in the sky and the students of Hogwarts were huddled closed together to keep warm.

Draco shivered and pulled his cloak tighter around himself, too occupied reading to use a warming charm. The Eighth years were busy studying for their upcoming NEWT's, days and nights were spent poring over Transfiguration, Charms and Potions textbooks.

He suddenly felt a warm flush over himself, warming his cold toes and nose and fingers making him sigh in contentment as if cuddled up in a thick blanket.

He looked up to find Harry casting the charm over himself, Draco cast him a warm, thankful smile.

Harry smiled back, eyes squinting, cheeks splotched with red color.

Draco felt his stomach flip.

He ignored it, thinking it might be because he felt hungry. Biting his lip in thought, he continued reading, his heart beating loudly in his chest.

Harry was busy writing back a letter to Ron and Hermione when Draco asked him to accompany him to Hogsmeade.

"I need a few new quills and ink." He explained.

"I am actually going with Neville, he wants to go to this new Herbology centre that has opened up." Harry smiled apologetically, "Sorry."

"Oh." Draco said, "That's okay. I'll just ask Blaise."

He furrowed his brows and looked down at his hands, what was this burning feeling in his chest? This sad and irritated feeling that stung his heart.

He couldn't be jealous of Longbottom for going to Hogsmeade with Harry.

Harry and I are just friends, he said to himself, I don't have feelings for that git.

He shook his head and left with a crease between his brows.

"Blaise!" Draco whined.

"What?" He said sleepily from his side of the room; his voice was muffled slightly due to the curtains drawn around his bed.

"I can't sleep." Draco complained.

"Why?" Blaise yawned and opened the curtains.

"I can't stop thinking about him." Draco turned on his side and looked at Blaise' lying form in the dark.

"Who? Potter?" Blaise squinted his eyes, trying to make out the black silhouette of his best friend.

"Yes," He said meekly.

"Do you like him?"

"No!" He said a little too eagerly.

"Are you sure?"

"No. Maybe. Yes! I don't know!" He said exasperatedly. "I'm confused."

"You always are."

"Shut up."

"Look, if you like him then tell him."

"I can't." Draco sighed, "It's complicated."

Blaise sighed, "You want to talk about it?"

"Yes, please." Draco said thankfully and climbed into Blaise's bed.

"Woah, woah!" Blaise raised his arms, "What the fuck are you doing?"

"Shut up and listen."

Blaise grimaced, "Fine, fine." Draco sighed before going into explanation.

"So you mean to say that you broke the poor bloke's heart and now you have feelings for him?"

"Maybe."

"What the actual fuck, Draco?"

"It was very sudden, okay?" Draco rubbed his face tiredly, "I didn't even feel anything for him until a few days back and it's been, what, three weeks since he confessed?'

"Huh." Blaise stared at the black canopy of his bed, tracing the faint carvings in the wood with his eyes, "How did you know you like him?"

"I think I was jealous."

"Of Potter and.....?"

"Longbottom."

"What? N-Neville?" He looked incredulously at Draco. "Do you think Neville like Harry?" He added.

"No, of course not. I think he is crushing over you." Draco smirked.

"He is?" Blaise squeaked, a dark blush spreading over his dark skin which wasn't visible in the dark but Draco could feel the embarrassment and happiness radiating off his best friend.

"You like Longbottom, don't you?"

"Yes, I do."

"Good for you." Draco placed a hand on his arm.

"You aren't trying to seduce me, are you?"

"Maybe." Draco smirked and trailed his finger up his arm, squeezing his bicep and biting his lip seductively.

"Ew, " Blaise pushed him away, "Go away you creep."

"Shut up, you love me." Draco laughed and then yawned. He walked back to his bed and slumped down onto the pillow.

"I hate you," Blaise whispered and fell asleep immediately.

"I can feel the love, darling." Draco mumbled before sleeping as well.

»»--⍟--««