thirty five

"I love you"

Draco snorted at his words, "Don't joke around, Potter,"

"I'm not joking,"

Draco narrowed his eyes at him and grimaced. "I have no idea what game you are playing with me right now but it's not funny!"

"And I'm telling you it's not a joke! I love you and only you," His voice made Draco flinch slightly.

"Oh," Draco cleared his throat and blinked widely at the boy in front of him. He was really confused, he never loved him, they were friends, just friends. His mouth parted open in surprise at Harry's face expression.

He looked hopeful and it crushed Draco's heart ever so slightly knowing that he had to break the truth to him.

Licking his lips nervously, he shook his head slightly and let out a dry, nervous laugh.

"I-I don't love you, Potter," He spoke in a trembling voice, "We are just friends and nothing more,"

Harry felt his heart drop to his stomach, a nauseating feeling took over him.

"But you flirted with me, you almost kissed me. Didn't that mean anything to you? We even fell asleep together!"

"It was all for fun and games! I thought you knew that!"

"You danced with me at the party,"

"You've never danced with your friend?" He raised an eyebrow in exasperation.

"But-"

He was cut off by Draco shushing him.

"Enough!," Draco gasped. "I don't love you, Potter! I never have and I never will! We are just friends and will never be anything more! Stop looking for excuses to prove that I have feelings for you," Draco sneered.

Harry deflated at his words. His heart burned and his eyes welled slightly. Those words cut deeper into his soul than expected, creating a wound that might never heal.

Draco's eyes showed slight regret of the words. He was just confused as to why Potter of all people had to fall in love with him. Potter was just a friend. That's it.

Harry willed himself not to cry. He had no one. Everyone had left him. His parents, his Godfather, his Uncle Moony.

All his friends had someone they could rely on.

Why couldn't someone love him?

Was he so unlovable?

Nobody loved him.

Nobody

He had nobody, except himself.

Draco pursed his lips when he saw a salty tear trickle down Harry's face, another wave a guilt crashing over him. He opened his mouth to speak but he closed it in fear of worsening the situation.

The emerald eyes sparkled with anger, fear and emptiness under the moonlight.

Harry made no move to wipe the tear, but he turned on his heel and marched out towards his dorm room.

Draco felt a pang of remorse in his chest. He destroyed another friendship yet again. He didn't deserve to have friends, did he?

He pressed the heels of his palms against his closed eyelids and let out a huge sigh.

Harry was buried under the layers of his blankets. He felt numb with pain. He felt empty. All the warmth he felt from Draco, gone. He had ruined their friendship and now Draco hated him.

When will it stop hurting? He asked himself.

He sniffled softly and wrapped his arms around himself. He was wrapped up in a Weasley sweater and layers of blankets, yet he had never felt colder before.

Days passed. Harry's life felt useless. He felt like he didn't have a purpose. He completely destroyed any chances of keeping any relationship with the blond.

He hated this.

He hated himself.

But he loved Draco more than anything.

Draco broke his heart, crushed it into pieces and destroyed it completely. Yet Harry still felt the same for him.

He hated the world for doing this to him.

One time, just one time he felt that he actually had a chance to fall in love, to be loved.

But no, the universe had a habit of fucking up his life in unique and different ways.

The days went by in a slow blur. He avoided the blond and his attempts at reconciling after their fallout, he used the Marauders map to avoid him as much as possible and the Invisibility cloak as well.

Even if Harry avoided him, he couldn't help but look at him in classes, hoping to catch his eyes or even a twinkle of smile towards him or hoping to see a glimmer of longing in those eyes he loved so dearly. He just hoped that maybe soon Draco would realise his feelings for Harry and come crawling back to him.

But this never did happen, because life's a bitch and Harry hated it.

»»——⍟——««