eighteen

Draco felt better than he had since his mother had died. He was thankful to Potter for giving him the stone so he could talk his mother one last time.

A weight had lifted off his shoulders, relieving him of all the built up tension. He still missed his mother, yes, but he knew she loves him and is in a far better place where she can smile and laugh freely.

His heart felt heavy with loss but his mind felt clearer.

Draco apologized to all of his friends for shunning them out. Even before the apology had reached to them, all four Slytherins had engulfed him in a hug.

Each had tears in their eyes but none of them cared anymore. They had each other and nothing would separate them.

Only the fact that they didn't know how wrong were they.

Harry's cheek rested on his palm as he skimmed through his notes. A bored sigh left his mouth, he picked up a quill and drew random doodles at the corner of the beige parchment.

He couldn't focus on studies, he was too buzzed by the fact that Draco had actually hugged him. He still remembers the feeling of having the blond wrapping his arms around him in a faint embrace which Harry would cherish forever.

"Potter?" Harry's quill punched through the paper, creating a hole as he looked up, startled, at the person. He could recognize that voice anywhere.

"Draco," He breathed out with a smile. Draco nodded at him, "May I?" He gestured to the seat opposite to him.

"Yeah, of course!" He said a little too eagerly and cringed inwardly at his own desperation.

The blond looked at him weirdly and took a seat in front of him, his hands placed neatly in front of him, "Look, thank you, again for what you did for me--"

"You already did, no need to say it again." Harry interrupted him.

"Will you let me finish, Potter?" He said with a short glare. Harry slumped in his chair, "Yeah, okay."

The Slytherin sighed, "As I was saying before I was interrupted," He narrowed his eyes at Harry who grinned cheekily at him, "I know you helped me and I'm thankful for it, but I know you want something in return from me so just spit it out already."

"I-- What?" Harry said in confusion, "Why would I ask for something in return?"

Draco gaped at him, "Then why did you help me? It's obvious you want something back. Look I have a vault full of money--"

"I don't want your money, Draco. I just helped you because I wanted to."

Draco's shoulders sagged, "B-But why would you help me?" He said in a small voice.

Harry wanted to hold him close, "Draco, I helped you because I knew you were grieving, I know how that feels. I helped you because we are friends." Harry felt a sting at the last word but let it pass.

"But I'm a death-eater. You aren't supposed to help a death-eater like me!"

"You were forcibly marked, Draco! Stop saying you are a bloody death-eater. We all know what you and your mother did during the battle."

"I was a bully. I made your life hell." Draco was adamant. "I almost killed you, Draco. I think I deserve to be more guilt ridden."

Draco rubbed his temple in frustration. He opened his mouth to say something but Harry beat him to it.

"Look, we both have done stupid stuff in the past, it's time we forgive and forget. No need to think over things that don't matter anymore."

Harry stood up, "I'm asking you the last time, Draco, will you be my friend?" He stretched his hand forth, "Please?" He pouted.

Draco let out a short laugh, "Yeah, sure. Harry."

Harry's stomach did a somersault. Draco placed his hand in Harry's. The touch making Harry go crazy on the inside.

"I really am sorry, Potter. For everything." He said sincerely.

"I'm sorry too, Draco." Harry smiled.

Narcissa Malfoy's funeral was beautiful. Everybody wore white and black as per her request. There weren't many people but the ones there mattered the most.

Draco stood in a black tuxedo, a black rose tucked safely in his breast pocket, relishing the memories of his childhood.

It was a small procession, nobody cried. Everyone celebrated Narcissa, they missed her, of course, but most importantly they rejoiced and celebrates her life with toasts of red wine.

She was a marvelous person after all.

Theo, Mili, Blaise, Pansy, Harry, Hermione, Ron, Draco, Teddy and Andromeda stood around, a mixture of black and white clothes. Their eyes glossed over as Narcissa Malfoy's casket was buried in the ground.

A week passed since the funeral and Draco had decided something.

He was going to ask Theo out. Or maybe just tell him about his feelings.

He wrung his hands nervously and made his way to the party in the common room.

He talked for some time with Pansy and Blaise before he pulled Theo to the dance floor to dance.

Theo didn't refuse, yet he pulled him close and swayed together to the beats of the music.

Harry watched from afar, his body burning with anger.

»»——⍟——««