chap. 12 | an unexpected encounter

My eyes bat open, my H/C hair a mess as I look into my bathroom mirror

The clock reads 9:30AM, and today was the day of Kazuha's departure.

The Crux will be sailing off around 1PM, but I wanted to spend a little bit more time in the city before saying goodbye.

Gorou was already eating breakfast in the other room, but I noticed that his ears were more..droopy than usual?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be creepy or anything- but I just feel like something about his mood is off. His fluffy ears are usually upright but today it's just floppy I guess?

I might be thinking too much but he also seems a lot more quiet this morning. Maybe I should ask if he's okay.

Walking toward him, I ask.

"Um hey Gorou, are you feeling alright? I don't know if I'm imagining things, but your mood just seem..I don't know- off I suppose? Oh that's right, I ran into Kazuha last night and he wanted me to tell you that he had a lot of fun spending time with the two of us. See how fun we are to be around!"

His eyes widen slightly for some reason but he shakes it off quickly.

"Yeah, I'm completely okay! And uh, I guess it's nice to know we're fun to hangout with. Anyway, let's head out now." Gorou says in a hurry.

Before he can walk out the door though, I respond with, "If you're sure, but know I'm here to talk if you ever need it okay?"

I raise my fist for him a fist bump, and he returns it. A small smile forms on his face.

"Thank you, Y/N." He replies.

It was a little windier outside than yesterday, but still not a bad day to go out. Walking down the rod, we pass by the Komore tea house- until we hear silent sobs coming from behind it.

Gorou heard the crying first, as his hearing is a lot better than mine. Nevertheless, we give each other a glance and walk towards the sound. Right behind the tea house, we find a girl around my age (for clarification you're 17 in this story!) with puffy eyes and tears streaming down her face.

Um...it wouldn't hurt to ask if she's okay right?

"Uh, hi..are you okay?" I decide to ask.

Gorou is now standing behind me peeking behind my shoulder, meaning that he has no idea how to deal with this.

She stands up, and glares at me. This girl a stare that are like daggers! Her eyes pierce right through me, until she spots Gorou behind me.