chap. 14 | pens, letters, and ms. hina

"And we're back to square one

"And we're back to square one." I say, standing right in front of the Yae Publsihing house.

"We sure are, except I hope this time we don't run into...her." Gorou says, now slightly walking behind me.

"Um anyway, I'll ask the man running the front desk for a letter pickup."

"Alright, I'll go scout out a place where we can write up replies in peace!" I say, scanning the area.

Near us, I see a corner below a shady tree- a good quiet place to write stuff I guess. I spot Gorou coming back with a pen, paper, and a bunch envelopes.

"Okay I'm back Y/N! These might take a while, I hope you don't mind. Oh right just to clarify, all of these are anonymous if you're wondering. The publishing house makes sure all of these letters have the names removed. Also...I'm really glad you're here to help me, because inside these letters could be filled with just about everything."
He says, settling in the spot I picked out.

"Alright I'll open the first one so we can read the whole thing together." I say, inching a bit closer to him so we can see properly.

Before I know it though, we're shoulder to shoulder- and our faces were merely centimeters apart.

It takes all my willpower to not stare into his pretty eyes, but I advert my attention back to the letter.

I can tell both our faces are slightly heating up, but luckily I think we both finished reading the letter. I even read faster to clear up the awkward tension.

"Uh so, I think this person is asking about how to deal with her pushy neighbor asking for money. I've never really had a problem with money loaning before though so I don't think I'll be of help for this one. It's up to you Gorou!"

"Alright let me think about this..."

And so we rinse and repeat- there were miscellaneous topics to get through though.

Taxes, friendship problems, the Vision Hunt Decree being over- but there was one topic that stood out to the both of us. And that one letter read:

Today, a new guy came to our village, and I couldn't take my eyes off of him. Looking at him was like a dream. He was good looking and had the most lovely voice. And when I peeked at him from behind my door, I could feel my cheeks getting hotter and hotter, and my heart started racing a hundred miles an hour. I want to let him know how I feel, but I don't think I recognize this feeling- nor do I have the courage to say anything to him. Do you have any idea of what this feeling is called? Or what I should do going forward? Is it a kind of sickness?

As soon as we both finish reading, I can hear Gorou sigh next to me.

"See, these are the kinds of letters I'm no good at writing. It seems to me that a young lady was writing this letter, and it's not something that I can contribute from my point of view as a man..." He trails off.