47. revelations in tartarus

G A Y L E

47. revelations in tartarus

HADES SLUMPS back on his throne, fully digesting all that we've just told him while I slump back in my seat, fully digesting the heavenly steak I just scarfed down like an animal.

"The titans can be killed?" Hades mumbles to nobody in particular, brows furrowed in deep concentration. "All this time..."

The smell of wildflowers on my skin accredited to Persephone's special soap distracts me again while a yawn spills free from my lips. It feels so good to be clean and fed for the first time in a week.

"We should tell Apollo..." I perk up at the mention of his name, goosebumps appearing on my skin as a cold draught drifts into the room.

I try to ignore the way my heart hammers against my chest at the thought of his soft electric blue gaze and my desire to rake my fingers through his soft mop of blond locks the colour of a golden stream.

Apollo. The last memory I have of him comes to mind, of his eyes wide in fear as I disappeared along with Hermes and Ariel, of his hand outstretched to mine, but I couldn't reach back because it was too late.

These past few days I've been trying to push down thoughts of what might have happened to him. A pang of guilt hits me at the thought that he might have been captured and taken to Mount Olympus to be tortured.

"Where is Apollo now? Is he safe?" I blurt those words out before I can even stop myself, but I wouldn't want to if I could.

I shrink into my seat as Hades arches a suspicious brow at me. "Apollo and Artemis are fine. They're the only ones who managed to escape the titan attack on Thrace. Since you guys went missing they've been rounding up armies and preparing for battle. They should be here soon. I've informed them of your arrival already."

Relief washes over my body at his words, it feels like the first exhale after being trapped under water for a long time.

I can't wait to see for myself that Apollo is fine.

Right then and there I secretly make a vow to myself that I'll never leave Apollo again once we're reunited.

"The only person who can tell us where that sickle is, is Adonis. Is he here?" Ariel chimes in, finally looking like the queen goddess she actually is, draped in one of Persephone's long dresses as I am.

A silence engulfs the room just as soon as she asks, while Hades and Persephone exchange another one of their glances. She sighs, while continuing to rub her pregnant belly comfortably, her feet kicked up.

"Well, you see the problem is–" but Hades is interrupted when the mahogany doors burst open and behind them one of the most beautiful creatures I've ever laid eyes on is stood with his hands in his pockets.

He's perfect, from his ivory skin right down to his hooded onyx eyes. But there's resentment in his gaze. Something about his beauty is daunting, he seems tormented.

He drags his gaze over everybody in the room. I try to ignore how it lingers a millisecond longer on me as he finally fixes it on Persephone, who is focused on him as well, a worried expression taking over her face. "You called for me?" He arches a brow.

"You didn't join us for dinner... are you feeling okay?" Persephone asks.

He gazes at Persephone with indifference in his piercing eyes. "Why did you call me?" He replies.

I frown at his response, realizing that this beautiful creature also happens to be the most rude person I've ever been acquainted with. My frown deepens when my eyes dart to Persephone and her eyes are watering as if she's about to burst into tears at his rudeness.