24. return of the hydra

G A Y L E

WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY." I turn to Apollo for the tenth time, eyes narrowing in fatigue as he proceeds to trudge forwards.

He huffs, lips pursing into a straight line. A crease has formed in the space between his eyes and his normally warm grey eyes are hard and stormy with rage.

We've been trying to find a way back on the right path for hours now, and I know I had an apple a while back but gods, what I'd do for a juicy fat steak right now...

"No, this is the right way." He replies sharply, returning his gaze to the path ahead of us.

I frown, coming to an abrupt stop mid-path.

Irritation fills his eyes as he stops as well, turning back to face me. "What. Now?" He asks me, the coldness in his eyes getting harder.

I've never seen him like this, a powerful combination of anger and determination. He looks dangerous, but I'm trying to get him back to his usual self.

It's proving very difficult.

"We're going the wrong way. We've been going the wrong way for a while now. Apollo, listen to me. We got here from this side, so the way back to the right path would be that way." I point behind us to make him see reason.

He arches a brow. "Of all the people I could have got stuck here with, it had to be the mortal." He rolls his eyes, shaking his head as be begins to start moving again.

His words hurt me, a burning feeling starting deeper in my chest as I feel the tears welling in my eyes.

Do not fucking cry.

"Okay, look, I'm trying to help you! So could you stop being a fucking dick for a second, and turn around?"

My words will him to stop moving as he whirls back around to look at me, his face ridden with anger. "We already tried that way! Remember? It was a dead-end!" He sighs, rubbing his thumb over the bridge of his nose. "We don't have time for this. It's almost sun down. The only other way is forward so please just stop taking up more time that we don't have!"

"I have a bad feeling about this. I vote we just stop moving altogether and come up with another plan." Apollo shakes his head before I can even finish my sentence.

He sighs, throwing me a hard glare with his dark stormy grey eyes. "If you'd rather just sit here and waste away, be my guest. I'm finding my way back to the right path with or without you." He snarls, slowly beginning to tread forward on his own.

He's leaving me behind.

"Apollo! Apollo, we need to stay here and wait for Russ he's the only one who knows how to get to the right path." I'm chasing after him at this point, trying to get his attention and to get him to stop moving.

He stops again, turns back to me. Instead of anger in his eyes like before, his expression is hard to read. I can't tell if he's angry or not, it's just flat-out jaded.

"So, 'Russ'? That's what we're calling him now?" An angry chortle flicks past his lips and he shakes head. "What? Are you in love with him or something? Get your head out of your ass, Ariel, he's not coming to save us!" He shouts, voice echoing through the labyrinth.