13. misery loves company

G A Y L E

13. misery loves company

I THINK THAT by now we've all established the fact that I am what some would call a coward. So meeting Hades was probably one of the scariest moments in my entire mortal life.

It wasn't just the scary dark room with a giant throne made of skulls smack in the centre, or the ominous black helmet hung on top of the back rest of that throne, it was the feel of the room itself. The greenhouse felt like a safe place, a utopia littered with flowers and a sense of content seeping through the fresh air.

This room is the complete opposite. It's so cold that I'm shivering, and a chill races down my spine at the sight of a man resting languidly on his throne, his leg draped lazily over his arm rest and a giant gold crown over his head.

He is very pale, but there's something about him that has me gravitating towards him, his darkness gives off an aura of authority, and he licks his lips as Persephone leads us towards him. She's casually gliding towards her husband, who's lips break into a grin at the sight of him.

I don't know this man. I've never met this man in my life, but it has become apparent to me that he's not really the type to smile very often.

It seems unfamiliar to his face, but brightens it all together. His dark brow arches as he lays eyes on both Apollo and Hercules, a bored expression etching itself onto his pale face.

"Oh, would you look at that. Apollo and Hercules. Two of my least favourite nephews." He drawls sarcastically, placing his fingers in through his black hair. There's large silver rings on his fingers.

Persephone frowns at her husband and knocks him upside the head. "Play nice." She warns as he rubs the spot on his head that she hit.

He rolls his eyes before sitting up straight. "Yes, dear." He groans, but I notice the shadow of a simper toying on his lips before he turns his gaze back on us.

He pulls Persephone by the waist onto his lap, where she sits comfortably with a smile on her face, and puts her arm around his shoulder. He kisses her cheek.

"Have a seat." He motions to the empty space ahead of him, where a black leather couch appears out of nowhere at the flick of his hand.

"Let's talk."

* * *

ALL THE WHILE Apollo explains, Hades and Persephone listen whole-heartedly, as well as Hercules who seems to be hearing all of this for the first time as well.

"You don't know who got you out of Tartarus?" Hades asks when he's done. Apollo purses his lips, sparing a moment to think about it before shaking his head. "You didn't enlist anybody to help you out?" Hades asks, silver eyes laced with curiosity and concern. Apollo shakes his head once again.

"I was hoping that you could tell me, but I see now that I have made a mistake." Apollo sighs, all signs of hope and light leaving his his eyes as he raked his fingers through his hair nervously.

Hades and Persephone exchange a worried glance at one another while she runs her fingers through his hair. It's almost as if they're having a whole conversation with their eyes, not having to say anything to each other.