21. riddle me this

a/n: dylan sprouse as icarus

G A Y L E

21. riddle me this

THE DESERT SUN beats against my delicate skin as Apollo and I step out into the open.

I narrow my eyes to get a clear view of my surroundings, and just like last night, we're back in the middle of nowhere with long straws of wheat protruding from the ground.

Unlike me, Apollo seems to be sanctioning the sun against his skin as if it feels good to him. His eyes are shut, and  his face is upturned so he can take in the full power of the sun.

He looks different. He looks at peace for the first time since I've met him. Even his skin is beginning to look more revitalized, the pale complexion from last night disappearing under the wraps of a gorgeous tan.

"How is the sun still out? Aren't you the sun god?" I groan, feeling the ultraviolet waves crash harshly into my skin.

Apollo opens his eyes and turns back to me and the buzzing under my skin returns as mine lock onto his grey ones, they glimmer differently when he's under the sun, and I don't know how I didn't realise this before.

He smiles at me. "Helios." He explains, running his fingers through his blond locks. "He's the other sun god. I suppose he's been holding everything down while I've been incarcerated." Just as he finishes speaking, someone clears their throat from behind us, the both of us whirl around.

I exhale in deep relief, when Thalia's wild curly brown locks are the first thing I see. I trudge towards her, throwing my arms around her and pulling her closer to me.

"Don't you ever disappear like that again, okay?" I whisper in her ear as she wraps her arms around me, pulling me into her warm embrace.

"Geez, what am I? Chopped liver? I'm great too, thanks for asking." Hercules' voice buzzes into the warm air as Thalia and I pull apart. I roll my eyes at him and shove his shoulders playfully.

There's something different about Thalia, she's giving off a strange vibe of nervousness as she bites her lips and scratches her nails against her own palms.

My brows furrow as my shoulders hike up, asking her what's going on. She looks as if she's about to say something but Apollo cuts her off. "Where did the two of you disappear to last night? Artemis was livid, looking for the two of you. Did she find you?" He asks, arching a brow confusedly, though there's a knowing flash in his eyes, like he knows something that I don't.