25. queen of hearts

A/N - YALL I JUST CHECKED RANKINGS AND THIS BOOK IS #1 UNDER GREEK MYTHOLOGY!! HOWWWW?!?! IM SO PSYCHED!
thanks for reading babies♥️
a picture of ariel's faceclaim above

25. queen of hearts

G A Y L E

APOLLO HAS BEEN TRAPPED in a tight, loving embrace by Ariel's associate before I can even process what is actually happening right now.

"I didn't want to believe it when Ares told us you'd got out. How I've missed you brother!" She squeals excitedly, releasing him from his prison and squeezing his cheeks in her hands, once she's done she lands a playful slap to the cheek and smirks.

I've seen her before, when we were fighting in that war but I can't for the life of me remember her name.

She's got long, straight black hair cascading down her back and enticing light green eyes, with glittering caramel skin. She has a permanent evil grin plastered on her face as she chats animatedly with Apollo, who is just as excited to see her.

My attention is grabbed away from that scene when somebody clears her throat next to me.

I turn to look at Ariel, who looks completely different from the last time I saw her. She, too is donning straight hair, though hers is lighter than the other girl's and tied neatly at the top of her head into a ponytail. She's wearing a tight leathery black jumpsuit, which accentuates all of her curves and her tanned skin also glimmers in the light of the sunset, her hazel eyes are staring straight at me as she slides her sword into the holster of her jumpsuit.

Her red lips morph into a smile as she holds her arms open for a hug. She looks different, stronger, more confident.

Without a second thought, I meet her in the middle for a hug as she wraps her arms around me comfortingly, she still feels just as warm and soft as she always has as she brushes my hair back and tightens our hug.

"I've missed you, Gayle." She mutters into my ear, Apollo and the other girl's chattering fades into the background for a moment as tears begin to well in my eyes for the umpteenth time today.

"I – how did you find us? How did you know we were here? And – I – well – you – you were flying!" I struggle to form a coherent sentence as I pull out of Ariel's warm embrace and grab her by the arms, shaking her playfully. "How did you – when — YOU LITERALLY JUST SET THAT THING ON FIRE! THAT WAS SO COOL!" I shriek, capturing the attention of even Apollo and the goddess beside him.

Her light green eyes examine me thoroughly, making me feel uncomfortable as Apollo tries to ignore Ariel besides me, but fails dismally.

"So you're the mortal who's been wreaking havoc on my world." An electric green flash of light glides through her irises as she speaks, voice smooth like silk and though she hasn't displayed much of her abilities, I can tell that she is a very powerful goddess.

"Eris, behave." Ariel grumbles, shooting her a stern look before fixing her gaze back on me.

Eris' thick plum purple lips widen as she grins at me. "Lucky for you, chaos and I are old friends." She winks and looks away, focusing her attention back on Apollo.