10. cell service plan? impeccable

a/n : Earth Vangwithayakul as Hercules but you're free to imagine whoever

G A Y L E

10. cell service plan? impeccable

THE SHACK is way further from the road than it actually looks, and by the time I check my watch, we've been ploughing through the wheat fields towards the ominous crow infested pitch black run-down shack for thirty minutes.

Even though the sky is grey and there's a chill around us, I feel sweat trickle down my face at the distance we've treaded. I ask myself again why we left the car on the side of the road.

After another five minutes, I halt. "This is stupid. We're not even sure Hades is in that shack to begin with." I turn to face Apollo, whose face is furrowed in concentration as he watches the shack like he's expecting it to burst into flames.

Despite him being human now, he hasn't broken a single sweat in our journey towards imminent danger.

Thalia looks about worse than I do. Her hair is all frizzy and has spread out like that of a lion's mane and she's completely out of breath.

"He's in there, I know he is." Apollo replies, and he sounds so sure of himself that I almost believe him, but as my eyes focus on the tiny, beat-down shack ahead, the seed of doubt plants itself in my brain.

Why would god of the Underworld be hiding out in that cardboard box?

I'm about to retort when Apollo suddenly puts out a hand before him and glances towards the sky.

Thalia and I exchange glances before looking back to him confusedly. "Do you hear that?" I concentrate on our surroundings and try to hear whatever it is Apollo hears, but to no avail.

I shake my head and turn to Thalia, who shrugs. "I don't hear anything." I answer him and his scowl deepens, concern lacing itself into his silver eyes.

"Exactly. The crows, they're gone." He points towards the shack which is now completely vacant, no crows or anything.

Before I can say anything, Apollo screams "duck!", running towards me and forcing me to crouch down under his arms. I do as told, eyes scrunched up as I brace for impact.

After a combined total of five seconds, I look up and almost wet my pants at the sight ahead. Sans the almost.

Thalia has jumped before us and is holding out her hands in front of her protectively.