Whatever the Weather

TRIGGER WARNINGS - DEPRESSION, DEATH, AND DIVORCE

I lost my angst all over this chapter, you think you can find it? I mean, there is definitely not a whole lot of angst here.......that was a lie...

Jasper's POV

"Like I care!" My mom shouted from the other room.

Life has been hard lately, my parents are constantly fighting, and I don't want them to divorce or anything. My mom never cares about me but I've always loved her. My dad, however, is the exact opposite. He loves me and I love him and that's the reason my parents are fighting.

"Jasper deserves a happy home and a happy family!" My dad defends as I listen from my room, while sitting with my knees curled up to my chest.

"What in the world makes you think that!?"

"I don't think that I know that. Jasper is supposed to be our son but you treat him like a zero, like nothing! And I know that is not what he deserves."

"So?"

"So, I don't wanna do this anymore!"

"What's that supposed to mean?!"

"It means we're done! It's over! If you can't see what an amazing kid Jasper is, then we're done!"

"You know why I treat him that way?" My harsh mom asks and my dad waits for a reply, "it's because I never wanted a son!"

My heart stopped and I felt my body temperature run cold. Unwillingly, tears escaped my eyes. All the hope I had in my mother loving me disappeared at that moment.

"I am taking my son and getting the hell away from here and away from you! I really thought you were better than this, but no one is perfect!"

"Again! I couldn't care less! I've been waiting for the day Jasper leaves my sight!"

I break down, burying my head in my knees, still curled up on the floor. I slightly rock because of the impact of my foot on the ground and my back against the wall.

"Mommy..." I mutter, "why..."

I hear loud footsteps and them getting calmer each second they get closer. I hear the door creak open, slowly.

I raise my tear stained face for my desperate eyes to meet with my dad's. 

"Buddy...who cares what she thinks. You're the most important person in my life and I will never say otherwise," He sits next to me on the ground, rubbing my back.

"O-Okay, thanks dad. I love you."

"I love you too, son. Whatever the weather," Dad wraps me in a tight, comforting hug and for a second- just for a second- I forgot about everything that just happened. It was a moment of peace.

After what felt like an eternity, Dad let go, "Now, let's get out of here."

Dad and I walked into his car and sat down. He turned the heater on because it was a frigid winter day and to make things...well, worse, it's almost Christmas.

We drove to a house a street away from Junk N' Stuff. Huh, how ironic. 

We moved into the house and had...a normal life. I mean, I still worked but, no one knew about what happened.

Well, not until a little while after.

I walked downstairs to the living room with my dad sitting on the couch watching the iconic Christmas movie, Home Alone.