Chapter 23

I didn't realize I had fallen asleep until I heard men's voices and they were entering the tent.

"You must set aside your petty grievances with the Dwarves. War is coming! The cesspits Of Dol Guldur have been emptied. You're all in mortal danger." I heard a familiar voice say and I quickly shot up.

Gandalf.

"Gandalf!" I said and ran up to him and hugged him and he hugged me back before looking at Bard and Thranduil.

"What are you talking about?" Bard asked.

"I can see you know nothing of Wizards. They are like Winter thunder on a wild wind rolling in from a distance breaking hard in alarm. But sometimes a storm is just a storm." Thranduil said.

"Not this time. Armies of Orcs are on the move, they are fighters, they have been bred for war. Our enemy has summoned his full strength." Gandalf said.

"I do think he is telling the truth." I said looking at Thranduil.

Thranduil looked at me and sighed.

"Why show his hand now?" Thranduil asked.

"Because we forced him. We forced him when the Company of Thorin Oakenshield set out to reclaim their homeland." Gandalf said.

Thranduil had annoyance written all over his face.

We walked out of the tent and looked up at the mountain.

"The Dwarves were never meant to reach Erebor. Azog the Defiler was sent out to kill them. His Master seeks control of the Mountain. Not just for the treasure within but for where it lies. Its strategic position. This is the gateway to reclaiming the lands of Angmar in the North. If that fell kingdom should rise again Rivendell, The Shire, Lothlorien, even Gondor itself will fall." Gandalf said.

I didn't want to admit it but I was afraid. What would happen if they came here? Who would fight them?

"These Orc armies you speak of, Mithrandir, where are they?" Thranduil asked.

Gandalf sighed. They were close. Very close.

*Legolas POV*

"ú-'ohenathon" Tauriel said.

"No, we wait a little longer." I said.

She sighed. I knew she was still upset that I pulled away from her, but she doesn't own my heart the way Amara does. She did once, but that was long ago, or maybe at least I thought she did.

I was curious though to why she was banished from Mirkwood, she didn't do anything.

"Tauriel, why are you banished?" I asked her.

"I would like to keep that between Lord Thranduil and I." She said. She wouldn't even look at me.

"Please, tell me." I begged.

She sighed before looking at me and tears were in her eyes.

"I do not want to be in Mirkwood anymore." She whispered.

"What?" I asked.

"I asked your father to banish me, at first he refused, but I told him I would do something incredibly stupid if he didn't banish me. I do not want to be in Mirkwood anymore, Legolas. I do not want to see you everyday with her. Why would I stay somewhere, where the person I love does not love me back, but another person." Tears were trying to make there way out of her eyes, but she held them back.

She was always strong. Before I could say anything a swarm of bats appeared. We quickly ducked down out of sight.

After they flew towards the fortress we slowly got back up and looked.

"Dúilith secherig." Tauriel said.

"These bats are bread for one purpose." I said.

"For what?" Tauriel asked.

"War."

I then looked over at the rock near the fortress and saw Bolg. He was on a warg and was looking all around him.

After he yelled something in the black language, a horn began to blow.

An army came out of the fortress. Where were they going to go? The Mountain?

Yes, that is where they intended to go.

Amara! She was in Dale.

"We have to warn the others!" I said and jumped up and Tauriel quickly followed. We had to get there before they do, otherwise, Amara and a bunch of others could be killed.

"We may be too late! We have to hurry!" Tauriel said, but we both got back on the horse and quickly rode away.

The only thought I had on my mind was Amara. I hope we make it in time.

*Amara POV*

"Get some rest and eat, tomorrow is a big day." I told everyone. Fires were stoked and people huddled together.

Tomorrow we were to go straight to the mountain.

"Since when has my counsel counted for so little? What do you think I am trying to do?!" Gandalf asked.

They were still arguing about the Orc army that was either coming or not coming, but I knew Gandalf wouldn't lie.

"I think you're trying to save your Dwarvish friends. And I admire your loyalty to them, but it does not dissuade me from my course. You started this, Mithrandir. You will forgive me if I finish it." Thranduil said and walked out of then tent.

I knew Gandalf didn't want to pick sides.

"I do not know if I can do this." I whispered.

All day I had been sure I could go to the mountain, but now, I wasnt sure.

"I know, dear one. Neither can I." He whispered and lit his pipe.

"Are the archers in position?!" I heard Thranduil outside the tent.

"Yes, my Lord." Feren said.

"Give the order, if anything moves on that mountain, kill it." Thranduil said.

I put my head in my hands. I couldnt cry right now. I just couldnt.

"The Dwarves are out of time." Thranduil said.

Now I knew this was happening for real and I couldnt change a thing.