32 | Just Another Day

"MOM, THIS IS NOT fair!" I bawl frustratedly at the fact that my dad couldn't make it

"MOM, THIS IS NOT fair!" I bawl frustratedly at the fact that my dad couldn't make it. Just one day he couldn't have spared to meet his own daughter?

"I'm sorry, honey. He was urgently called to attend to a patient otherwise you know how badly he wanted to come and see you." She explains, giving me a pitiful look.

I shrug, "it's fine. At least you're here."

I knock on the door to my room. After a few seconds, Divya opens up. When her eyes fall on my mom, she smiles. "Kavya, your mom?"

I nod and she engulfs my mom in a big hug, surprising my mom. "I'm Divya, Kavya's roommate and her best friend." She announces proudly and pulls my mom into the room and starts showing her everything.

My mom wasn't used to having girls of my age talk with her in such a friendly way. I guess she was finally grateful that she had someone else to talk other than me.

Before I know, she and my mom had started gossiping. From food to fashion. From studies to family. Every single thing. There were times when they even roasted me even though they were very much aware about my presence in the room. They had also exchanged their numbers.

"Oh my God, that's hilarious." I hear my mom laugh as Divya finishes the story about the day she ran away from her engagement. "You seriously have some guts. I would never imagine Kavya doing that."

I roll my eyes. "Mom, she ran away from her wedding. It's not hilarious. You shouldn't even be encouraging that in the first place."

"Oh shut up, Kavya," my mom waves me off. "She didn't love the guy. And it's her damn choice to elope. I wouldn't mind if you did it."

I raise my eyebrows at her. "That's because you know I wouldn't do that."

She scoffs, turning back to Divya. "So how are you friends with her, again?"

"Mom!" I shout. "Stop humiliating me in front of my own friend." I stare at them dumbfounded as they both continue to laughing.

"Kavya, you didn't tell me your mom was so cool and fun. God, I already love her!" Divya exclaims, making me roll my eyes.

"You know what, Aunty, we'll go down. I'll show you around. It gets cold here in the evening and the weather is just perfect to step out in." She squeals cheerfully as my mom agrees to her idea with the same level of excitement.

"Yes, show me all of your friends. I wanna meet them all." My mom follows Divya out of the room.

"Wait, even I'm coming." I grab the dorm keys and run out of the room, following the two excited ladies.

______________________