2

⪦⁝⋌⋄◌⋄⋋⁝⪧

"Christopher has certainly grown up from the last time we've met hasn't he?"

Christopher.

The name has never made much sense in my mouth. It felt foreign, almost fake. A near facade to keep up a mask of what he is supposed to be. Perhaps it was a formal title once, but never a name. No, it has never been his name. His name has always been Bangchan. Ever since that first time hidden away in the garden and will last forevermore.

I wonder if I should tell Sana to start calling him by that name instead, but I can't find it in my heart to betray his secret. It's a name only a few get to understand, and though my sister is our closest friend, he has not trusted her with it. It is not my place to reveal it and so I shall not betray him. I at least want to stay loyal even if I cannot stay by his side.

"I suppose so," I murmur, busying myself with a necklace she has already set out on her desk. Soon this room will be hers. A room fitting for a future Queen, and a room worthy of my sister.

Sana Minatozaki.

Ever since we were younger she has been regarded as a rare beauty. What with her beautiful locks of auburn hair, gorgeous cocoa brown eyes, and a dazzling smile that lights up an entire room, I don't blame her for earning that title. In fact, I'd be more offended if I caught anyone mocking her for her looks and good nature.

Sana is the type of person who seems so perfect that you wish you could hate her. In everything she does she is graceful and executes with flawless perfection. You would never catch her talking behind your back, you can always expect her to be honest and real. She isn't afraid to speak her mind and is as loyal as they come. She has a firm belief in protecting those around her with a heart as open and beautiful as the sun. She is kind, generous, caring, and affectionate. She is every bit of perfect that a princess is supposed to be, and would make the perfect Queen.

Sometimes I myself wonder if she is real.

"Hey, Luka?"

I nod dazedly, only half listening.

"Do you think he has feelings for me after all this time?" Flinching, I swallow hard, forcing my expression to stay neutral before I turn to her. She chuckles, avoiding my eyes and busying herself with her clothes. It takes a subtle stab to my heart and I struggle to listen to my remorse as her brother rather than my jealousy as her contention.

"I mean we've been engaged since we were kids and now it's finally happening. I'm just afraid I can't make him happy..." Sighing she stares almost blankly at the fabric in her fingertips. "What if I'm not good enough?"

"Sana, you are more than enough," I reassure her, smiling and trying to be as comforting as I can. "Even if he doesn't love you at this moment, he will grow to love you. Remember what Father said?"

When she turns her face from me, I stand, taking her by the shoulders and guiding her to the bed. I sit, holding her in my lap and brushing her hair gently. I used to do the same thing when we were kids and a nightmare or thunder had shaken her to the point where sleep was almost a foreign concept. When Sana is upset, she disappears into herself and the world around her seems to disappear but for her doubts. Sometimes she just needs a hug or a comforting word to calm her down.

In the back of my mind, I wonder if Bangchan will learn to do just that for her in my stead.

Pressing my cheek against her head, I place a gentle kiss on her forehead as though that would erase every fear and doubt clouding her mind.

"Love cannot be bought nor taken, it must be earned," I murmur against her skin and she turns to me, her eyes filled to the brim with an unforgivable hope. To mask the subtle crack I devastatingly feel in my heart, I close my eyes, pressing my forehead against hers instead. "So earn his love, and keep it."

She wraps her arms around me, burying her face into my chest, and I tighten my grip around her. Though the voices in my heart call me a fool and the verdict in my brain brutally abrashes the new truth of my fate into my skull; I can't seem to force myself away. I know it'd be better for me if I left now. I know I'll be happier. But when she looks at me like that, I can't help but need to reassure her that everything will be alright.

Because I will make sure that everything will be alright.

"That's all you have to do." 

⪦⁝⋌⋄◌⋄⋋⁝⪧

⪦⁝⋌⋄◌⋄⋋⁝⪧

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.