10

⪦⁝⋌⋄◌⋄⋋⁝⪧

I pass over her hand to his, almost as though I were exchanging our memories and our time together for their happiness.

It's hard enough for me to look up at him, it's even worse for me to meet his eyes without crying.

But I manage it because I love him.

Because I love her.

Because I am unwilling to hurt him any more than I already have.

Because I do not want to see her cry ever again.

I smile, and I pray that my eyes reflect the bittersweet moment, but at the despair in his, I find it hard to muster up any form of happiness or joy.

"Take care of each other," I murmur, choosing instead to gaze at their interlocked hands. Struggling to remind myself that this is our fate, and there is no changing that now. "I hope you find happiness, I really do."

Taking a deep breath, I look at the two of them and in the back of my mind, I think to myself...

They do complete each other.

For she is the sun.

And he is the moon.

With one last smile, I turn and take my place on the sidelines. Where I was always supposed to be even from the very beginning.

After all, there was no place in their story for me to begin with.

And so I leave them behind to fulfill their chosen places in the sun with bittersweet words, true words but words that cut and tear my heart into pieces as soon as I say them.

"She's the best thing you'll ever have." 

⪦⁝⋌⋄◌⋄⋋⁝⪧