5

⪦⁝⋌⋄◌⋄⋋⁝⪧

Why did I ever agree to this?

Never mind, I know why.

Whenever my sister makes that face, it's near impossible for me to say no.

But at what cost? You may ask.

Well, this time it was at the cost of my leg, and a package of my remaining dignity.

Groaning, I dreadfully recount the moments of just a few hours ago. Falling off a horse is bad enough, falling off a horse who was scared of the mere concept of oxygen in front of the very same man you wish to look your best in front of every moment of every day is quite possibly the worst thing to exist on this feeble planet men call Earth.

Perhaps I'm exaggerating but my embarrassment says otherwise.

Now, because of this, I am confined to a tent, on a poorly covered dirt floor and watching the last rays of sunlight disappear behind a blooming curtain of night. I groan, running my hands through my hair. Glaring at my leg I have half a mind to cut it off as punishment, but I reckon that would be counterproductive.

The curtain flaps to the tent fluttering as Bangchan enters, and I sit up almost frantically. Perhaps I can reason with him, let him know I'm fine, and request to return home as quickly as possible. He knows of my fear of the dark, he's sure to take pity on me and give in. After all, just as I cannot say no to him, he can never say no to me.

He doesn't say much, his face unreadable and serious as he sits beside me, a bag overflowing with bandages and medical solvents spilling over on his side. He pulls back my already damaged pant leg, and I let out a soft hiss of pain as the wound is exposed to the air. Bangchan looks at me in concern, so I quickly smile, erasing all signs of pain.

"Really, Bangchan I'm fine. We should start heading home now." I reassure him, trying to stand up but he pushes me back down. He gives me a stern look and I swallow hard.

"You're not fine, Luka. Your leg is bleeding, and you can hardly walk. How can you expect me to take you home in this condition?" After he is sure I won't move away or struggle anymore, he pulls away, rolling out a long piece of gauze tape to wrap around the wound. I make an effort not to look at it, the mere sign of blood making me nauseous.

"Trust me I--"

"Luka!" At the sudden bellow, I immediately go still. I turn to him, my eyes wide and wondering at his anger. Bangchan doesn't get upset easily, but once he does he's not someone you want to get on your bad side. I personally have never had this anger directed towards me, so this is foreign to me, almost scary.

Is this just worry? Concern for a friend?

His eyes contain something different, some unknown emotion I'd never believed could be possible for him. At least not towards me. I swallow hard, looking down at the hand where he holds the gauze. It tightens around the sticky fabric as he lets out a frustrated exhale.

"Please, just let me take care of you." As my eyes raise to his for a second time, I find them dangerously close. They're wide and dilated, almost panicked as though he's afraid. But what of? I can't read it, I can't understand. So all I do is nod. I let him turn back to my leg, and watch his nimble fingers tend to my torn skin.

For some reason with his touch on mine, it makes the blood oozing from the cut less scary and menacing. His fingertips are soft and soothing against my skin, an ailment of their own. He makes everything better, he makes everything okay. They help me to forget about the pain, and my mind wanders instead.