one

♤ NARDO ♤

Leg bouncing and his head swimming Horace felt like his body was working against his brain.

He hadn't taken a thing but the adrenaline pumping through his veins might as well have been drugs. 

"Mr. Walls, you could have a bright future ahead of you,"His probation officer started off."But if I don't say something now you could do jailtime."

"What 'bout my side of the story?"

"From what your former employer reported-"

"He ain't reliable, I should get a case!" Horace hit the table which left the man in front of him undisturbed.

"The case has already been settled."He cleared his throat,"For the rest of your sentence you'll be attending anger management classes."

"Do I look like I can fuckin' afford anger management?" 

"You aren't paying for it the state is," He corrected settling the paper on the table. "It's court ordered." 

Looking at the words describing him on the paper he got more irritated, his eyes hardened.

Difficult? Irrational? Antisocial? Unstable?

He might have been 2 of the words listed but he wasn't them all. They loved diagnosing black people with any and everything without actually speaking to said people.

"Mr. Walls, I understand this is alot of information to process-"

"I don't think you actually understand a thing."

"I'm trying to-"

"What the fuck does that do for me!?"

No matter how calm the man's tone was it didn't negate the fact Horace was basically being called crazy. Being labeled as difficult and whatever the fuck just because of an outburst.

He wanted to take the chair he was sitting in and slam it against the something, anyone matter fact.

He figured that wouldn't help his case so instead, he'd just leave.

"Is that all you wanted to tell me?"

"There was some other things-"

"Are they important?"His leg began to bounce,"Cause this coulda been an email fa real."

The man watched as Horace fidgeted and took a breath deciding that was enough for the evening.

"We can talk about it next time we meet."

"Good."

"Have a nice day Mr. Walls-" The words barely left the man's mouth and he was gone.

Storming from the cubicle, Horace could feel himself holding back tears, his body burning so bad with anger he wasn't sure what to do.

It made him feel weak when he felt like crying but it'd never be from sadness just his body trying to find a way to release the frustration.

"How'd it go?" His sister, Maia asked when he got home.

Horace had plenty of time to take his anger out on the world and now that he was home he knew he didn't wanna blow on his sister.

She was already giving him a place to stay and she barely had the room for herself and her son.

"How you think?"He picked at his nails."I gotta take anger management classes."

"That ain't so bad."

"Don't play with me."