eleven

♤ NARDO ♤

Leaving the front desk Horace walked down the halls of the hospital his hands clutching harder around the flowers.

He was always anxious to a degree but something about seeing his sister laid up, bruised and broken had his stomach churning.

Horace placed the flowers onto the coffee table his eyes bouncing to Maia. She looked a little bit better than last time but damn was his heart still hurting.

He watched as she sleeped for a minute until her eyes fluttered open and as she sat up, she began to point rapidly.

Panic went through his heart.

"What?! Girl what!?" He asked, Maia touching her chest as she croaked.

"The w-water."

"Guh, I'm over here thinkin' you dyin'." He laughed lightly as Maia snatched the bottle taking quick gulps.

"My throat felt like it was." She clarified, sounding like herself again.

They sat in silence, Nardo fiddling with his fingers his thoughts going back to that night and how much he regretted all of it.

"Why you scowlin' so hard?"

"No reason."He shrugged the woman rolling her eyes.

"It is a reason."

"How things go so left?" He asked in response,"I just wish I knew what to say."

"You don't have to say anythin', I'm fine."She coughed, rubbing her chest. "Shit went crazy, it ain't nothin' to get too upset about."

"You too fuckin' casual."

"How else am I supposed to feel, Nardo?"

"Mad, disappointed-"

"Disappointed with who?"

"With me."He avoided her eye contact."I ain't do my job."

"You don't have an obligation towards me."

"Yes, I do."He bit back, "I'm supposed to always protect you."

"We protect each other."

"Yeah, and I was lackin' on my part."

"If it weren't for you and Kentrell, I'd be dead love." She retorted, Horace glaring at her.

"You wouldn't have been there at all."

"Enough of this blamin' yourself shit, we ain't doin' this yo whole visit."She sat back, her arms crossed."Ain't even told me nothin' about my son."

"He a trip, honestly."Horace leaned and put his fist in his mouth, "The amount of times he's told me I'm doin' somethin' wrong."

"Well, are you doin' it wrong?"

"I be doin' it my way."

"Yeah that sounds like the wrong way then." Horace gently hit her leg.

"Don't criticize me."His face became serious,"I'ma make sure he straight while you heal."

"I know I wouldn't have to worry about that."

A male nurse then came in and he watched as his sister brightened up considerably.

"Maia, you're awake."He smiled showing all 32 teeth, "You sleep well?"

"Yeah, much better than last time."

"I brought you some pudding."

"Thank you nurse Powell." She licked the spoon clean watching as he adjusted her bed and checked her vitals.