Code 16

Kylie left with Dimitri and Gino last night

Kylie left with Dimitri and Gino last night. Once we got word that they landed, we broke contact to let them do their thing. But all day, I've had this pit at the bottom of my stomach, worry the only thing inside as I think about what could be happening over there.

She's my little sister. My little Kylie. I guess after so many years of sending her away on raids and hits, the anxiety never goes away. Mum always says it's the sibling love we have.

So, here I am, sat at the bar in the main room, just drinking a beer, waiting for news of plane taking off to come home. The room was filled with different soldiers and women of the mafia. Families were outside in the garden, conversing with the foreigners, children and wives more than the men...

Sometimes I just sit down and wonder what our lives would be like if we didn't go to war, or at least, Ryan survived it. People always think when you say 'dads', you have same sex parents or you mean a step dad as well, but that wasn't the case for me. I had my mum, my dad Liam, my dad Ryan, and my sister Kylie and my uncles Alfie, James and Michael.

My family.

I hate how we lost someone so close to us because of the war. Because of Ana. The whole reason we have a thumb pad and key pad for the door to her cell is simple. We're angry, and we hold a grudge. I go into that room once every few months, my uncles a few times a year, my mum never, neither does Lyla... but Kylie used to practically live down there.

It was so bad that we had to drag her out of there one time because she was falling behind on her underboss duties as she was feeding her rage so much. Thankfully though, we didn't let her down there until we were sworn in, allowing her hatred to calm down a bit.

But my thoughts are cut short as I go to take another swig of beer, only to find I've already drank the full thing.

"Lyla, can you pass me another?" I ask as I watch her walk behind the bar for a can of coke.

"Here you go." She says as she opens another bottle for me.

"Thanks." I say, taking another swig.

We just sat in silence, watching the Spanish news on the tv, waiting for word of a bombing, something we do when we finish a raid.

"Isaac." Dad calls out from the kitchen.

Sighing dramatically, I hear Lyla giggle watching as I slump into the kitchen, knowing I had just finished a load of paper work and just wanted a drink.

"Dadddddd." I whine as I meet him by the code board in the kitchen. "What do you want-"

"Look" He says, pointing to the light on the board.

The fact that there's a light on is bad enough. We have a connection all across the internet, mainly Europe, where we can call in a certain code, saying what the situation is. It's usually obvious which task it is, whether it is how many jobs we have going on or how dangerous they are. But the one colour everyone dreads was shining.

black-code 16.

"Get everyone inside now, all available in Spain start meeting together and get the jets ready, I want at least six teams flying out by midnight." I order.

"Yes Son." He responds.

"I want James and Alfie leading their own teams." I say, my voice cracking slightly in fear.

"Relax, we'd never let anyone hurt her." He reassures, patting me on the back.

And that was when I realised, my little sister, the one who's always ready battle. Ready to kill. Ready to torture. Full of vengeance. Who died three times after a burst artery and punctured lung, and then came back from the dead, is not so invincible after all.

Because she's trapped, and right now...

There's nothing I can do.