16

Francis' Point of View
I woke up in a lot of pain. I remember asking my mom to call Mary before I went into surgery for sure. I also have some memories of seeing Mary, I don't know if she was really here. I was pretty out of it. I heard my the door to my room open. Mary walked in. We made eye contact and she smiled so big. "You're awake, how are you feeling?" She asked setting her food down and coming over to me. "I'm fine, where is my mom?" I asked "She is home, I told her she can go rest and I would stay with you." She said "Were you here yesterday?" I asked "Yes, you were pretty out of it." She said holding my hand with both of hers. "I know but I remember you being here, I thought it was a dream." I said, I'm glad it wasn't. "Francis, do you want me to go?" She asked "No, no I don't. I'm sorry i'm being short i'm just in a lot of pain. I want you to stay." I said squeezing her hand. "Do you want me to call the nurse? You got meds a few hours ago i'm sure you're due for more." She said "No it's okay, i'm sure they are busy." I smiled "Okay well just give the word and i will go get her." She said "You came into a hospital for me." I smiled, she hates hospitals. Her parents were on life support after the accident and died in a hospital. "Yes I did, don't go getting too cocky." She smiled "Too late." I laughed "Francis I'm so sorry. It was completely-" I cut her off  "No stop, you don't need to apologize." I said "Yes I do, Francis. I acted like you did exactly what Grant did but you didn't. It was before we ever met. I'm sorry I over reacted." She said. "No Mary you didn't." I squeezed her hand. She did but it's okay, I can understand why she over reacted. "Come here and give me a kiss, I would come to you but I can't move." I joked, she stood up and held my cheek in her hand and gently kissed my lips. Just what I needed. She pulled away and smiled. "One more, for my health." I smiled "Oh well I want you to be healthy." She laughed "Exactly so one more please." I closed my eyes, she kissed me again then sat down. "There is a positive out of this you know?" She said "What's that?" I asked "You are out for the season, I don't have to freeze my ass off at your games." She laughed "Oh really? That sounds like a positive only for you." I smiled "Yeah maybe." She laughed. I love her smile. "You had a lot to say to me all drugged up." She said "Oh yeah? Like what?" I asked "Like I'm so pretty and you love me so much." She said "Yes, those things are very true." I said, she blushed. "And that you want me to be your girlfriend forever." She said "Not true," She pouted "I want you to be my wife." I said "What?" She said "Not right now, of course. But once we graduate college and I have a good job, I'm going to marry you." I said "Stop it, you're just saying that." She smiled, covering up her tomato red face with her hands. "Oh really? Go get the little box out of my pants." I said, she went over and got it then handed it to me. I opened it up towards her. A gold diamond ring. "Francis." She said "I'm not proposing, i'm just promising you that one day I'll replace this with a real ring." I said "This looks pretty real to me." She smiled "It is, but I'll get you a much nicer one." I said, I held her hand and slipped it on her ring finger. A tear slipped down her face. "What's wrong? Why are you crying?" I asked "I'm just so happy." She smiled wiping her tears. "I wish I could hug you right now but that would probably kill me." I smiled "It's okay, just hold my hand." She said, I did. "I just want to go home, you can be my nurse." I said "I can nurse you when you're all bruised after football, but i'm not qualified to nurse you after surgery." She smiled "Where is my dad?" I asked "He has been trying to get a flight back but because of the storm he hasn't been able to." She said "Oh no, I should call him." I said sitting up. "No it's okay, you need to lay down. I'm going to call for the nurse." She said. I laid back down. I let out a sigh of relief. Sitting up right now is no easy task. "If you love me you'll stay put laying down." She smiled stroking my cheek. "Only because I love you, not because i'm in pain." I smiled "Hmm sure." She laughed as she dialed the hospital phone.