Chapter 16:Girl Talk

Ben:I'm really sorry that things didn't go the way you wanted them to.
Mal:I mean, as long as you're safe, that's...
Ben:I mean, at least I got to see the Isle. They're my people, too. Uma helped me see that.
Mal:Ben, Uma captured you.
Ben:She's an angry girl with a bad plan. That's not so different from you when you came to Auradon, Mal.
[Ariana was furious at what Ben said to Mal, she threw a piece of candy at him]
Dude:Awkward.
Carlos:Dude, I know you can talk, but it doesn't always mean you should.
Jay: Here we go. [to Lonnie] Why don't you stop by practice later.
Lonnie:What, in the mood to break some rules?
Jay:(scoffs) No.
[Soon everyone was back at Auradon]
Lonnie: I'll get these back to the gym.
Jay:Thanks.
Lonnie:See you later.
Jane:Ben! There you are.Cotillion's tonight. Come here. Look, this is the stained glass window for Mal. Isn't it beautiful? She's gonna love it.
Ben:[to Mal] Do you want to cancel?
Jane:Um, you know what? I can come back. -Uh, but, like, really, really soon.
Ben:No, no, no. No, no, no. Now's fine. Um... Do whatever you need to do.
[Ben then walks away]
Evie:We need to talk.
Mal:Yeah.
Carlos:No.
Evie:No?
Carlos:You guys are always going off in a huddle, whispering your girl talk stuff or whatever, and Jay and I are tired of it.
Jay:I'm not.
Carlos:We're your family, too. We've been through a lot together. We're not stopping that now, okay?
[Ariana nodded her head]
Carlos:Everyone sit.Come on. (Dude whines) You too.I don't know how to start girl talk.
Jay:What up?
[Evie laughs and Ariana giggles quietly]
Mal:Um, well... I'm a mess. I'm such a mess. (voice breaking) I mean, six months ago, I was, you know, stealing candy from babies, and now everybody wants me to be this Lady of the Court. And I have no idea how to keep up the act.
Carlos:Then don't.
Jay:See? This was dumb.
Evie:Maybe it wasn't. We're always gonna be the kids from the Isle. I tried to forget it. I really tried, but those are our roots. And we all did what we had to do to survive. But it made us who we are. And we're never gonna be like anybody else here. And that's okay. That's okay.
Carlos:And we can't fake it.
Evie:No.
Mal:Yeah. I mean, especially without my spell book.
Carlos:Mal, if Ben doesn't love the real you, then he's not the one.
Evie:I like that.
Carlos:Give him a chance.
Evie:I'm gonna make some changes to your dress. And if you're up for it, only if you're up for it, it will be waiting for you, okay?
[Ariana and Evie both hugged Mal]
Evie:(mouthing words)
Carlos:Come on, buddy. -(Dude whines) (sighs)
[Before Jay walked away he looked back at Mal and then Ariana who nodded her head and smiled.Jay then sits back down and talked to Mal]
Jay:Come to Cotillion tonight, all right? If Ben isn't smart enough to love you and you can't stand another day, I'll drive you back tomorrow myself. Okay? Let's go.
[Ariana takes Jay's hand and walks away with him]
Dude:"Girl talk." Crushed it.
Carlos: (laughs)Yeah, except when it comes to asking Jane out. Then I'm a total chicken.
Dude:I'm gonna paraphrase one of the bravest boys I know. (clears throat) If she does not like you, then she is not the one for you.
Carlos:You really are a man's best friend. -(bells chime) Come on buddy, let's go.
Jay:Let's bring it in, boys. Let's bring it in. (sighs) All right. You all know I come from the Isle, right, where things are pretty whack. (chuckles) No, but there is one thing the Isle's got on Auradon. If you're strong, we want you by our side-- girl or boy.
Chad:(scoffs) Hey, Jay, hold on here. We don't-- We don't break the rules here in Auradon. That's over on the Isle.
"The team shall be comprised of a captain and eight men." So, uh... give it up for your new team captain. Chad:Whoa! What?!
Lonnie:(laughs) Thank you.
[Ariana and the whole team applauded for Lonnie except Chad]
Chad:Fine.
(whistle blows) Lonnie:Give me 10! Come on, guys. -1, 2... Pick it up, Chad. -3, 4... -Nice form, Jay. 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. (whistle blows) Okay, practice is over. Get out of here. Go get ready for Cotillion.
Lonnie:Hey, Jay.
Jay:Yeah?
Lonnie:Wait until I tell my mom.
Jay:Let's get out of here. Come on Ariana let's get ready for Cotillion.
[Meanwhile in Mal and Evie's dorm]
Evie:Come in.
Doug:I have a scout badge in s'mores! How could you go camping without me?
Evie:What?
Doug:Are you seeing someone else? Are you?
Evie:No.
Doug:Is it Happy's son? Because let me tell you, he is not as happy as his dad. Kind of a dark streak, in fact.
Evie:Doug, Ben and Ariana were both captured on the Isle. We rescued them and saved Auradon.
Doug:So you're not seeing Happy's son or anyone else?
Evie:Don't be dopey.[kisses Doug] Besides, we have dresses to deliver. It is Cotillion day, after all. And you know what? I was lucky enough to have been given a chance, and now I need to give someone else a chance, too.
Doug:My Uncle Bashful used to say that.
Evie:Did he?
Doug:Yeah. But really quietly.
Evie:(laughs) Let's do this.
Jane:Mm-hmm. Uh-huh. Say no more.
Carlos:Jane. Jane. Jane! Hey, hey, uh...Would you go to Cotillion with me?
Jane:Yeah, yeah, yeah, sure. We're all taking a stretch carriage over at 6:00. No, no, no. The pen toppers are in the port side cabin.
Carlos:No, I-- I mean... with me.
Jane:Yeah, want me to swing by your room? No, no, no. So, when you're on the boat facing the left... Yeah, yeah. Right. No, no, no. Not right, left.
Carlos:Uh...(chuckles) This is gonna be tricky. Jane? Would you be my date for Cotillion? And (chuckles) if you don't absolutely hate me by the end of it, um, would you consider maybe being more than friends? Maybe? Jane:Like boyfriend and girlfriend? Where we can hold hands instead of slugging each other all the time? And we can text, and I can tell you how great you are? Because, Carlos, you're really, really great. And I'm-- I'm the luckiest girl in the world! You're so nice and cute.
Carlos:Me too! I am the luckiest girl-- I mean guy. (laughs) Luckiest guy.
[Jane then hugged Carlos as he hugged her back🥹❤️]
Jane's phone:Jane? Can you hear me?
Jane:Oh, sorry. I'll see you later.
Carlos:Yeah. Totally.
Dude:Good boy.
Carlos:(laughs) Yeah, oh, yeah.Come on, Dude. Let's go. Yes!
[Meanwhile in Carlos and Jay's dorm Chad was messing around with the 3D printer]
Chad:Finally. (chuckles) (chuckles) Oh, what's that? Why no, Ariana , I haven't chosen my queen yet. Why no, Audrey (ringtone plays, cellphone vibrates) Who could be calling me? Ohh! Audrey! Audrey!
Carlos:Chad! This is my room, Chad! What...
Chad:Audrey? Yeah. Yeah? Well, yeah. Oh, well, that's wonderful news. She got a flat tire in Sherwood Forest, and she wants me to go fix it.
Carlos:That's six hours away.
Chad:Really? Only six? I'm gonna be there faster than I thought. Mwah!
Carlos:Ah, ah. My printer, my crown.
Chad:Oh. Yeah, about that, I was j-- (laughs) Right. I'm coming, Audrey!
Carlos:Wow.